wheel barely spins, Droning noise, hot caliper , what is the problem here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
good point, not that I know of as I assume oil will splash out everyhwere if I took the cap off with engine running , right ?

should there be no fumes/srteam at all from oil cap ?
Overhead camshaft engines rely on a strong flow of oil to cover both the camshaft lobes and the bearings.
Depending on the engine design there may be a metal baffle that prevents too much oil splashing out if you take the oil filler cap off with the engine running.
So, when you take the oil filler cap off, you will expect a chuffing of air to come out.....but what you don’t want to see is excessive oil fume or exhaust gas, particularly when the engine is hot. Unfortunately it's not possible to say if the engine is excessively worn by this test, but at 200k it can’t be considered as new!
Personally I’d say use the car as it is for now, but think very carefully before spending more brass on it....
the car has done very well so far, but there has to be a sensible limit.
John :)

Sponsored Links
good point, not that I know of as I assume oil will splash out everyhwere if I took the cap off with engine running , right ?

should there be no fumes/srteam at all from oil cap ?
Perhaps take off the breather hose then.

Not sure where it is, I have an idea but not sure.

will It be ok if i take cap off then and try ti that way ? do i do it when engine is hot ?
You can try that first. The breather hose should come from the engine and enter the air intake hose BEFORE the throttle body. If the engine is breathing excess oil fumes, it is those fumes that will collect as oil in the throttle body and drip out from there.

Sponsored Links
You can try that first. The breather hose should come from the engine and enter the air intake hose BEFORE the throttle body. If the engine is breathing excess oil fumes, it is those fumes that will collect as oil in the throttle body and drip out from there.

ah yes, I think I know where it is and you confirmed it. Anyway I will try with the oil cap off and/or dipstick out. I will od a video and upload it tomorrow.
this should be interesting. I am led to beleive it is normal for a little bit of steam/air but nothing excessive, right ?

Best doing it with hot engine ?

Look. stop trying to put words in my mouth that I did not say. I am a very polite person but I also know when to stand up for myself and you are just trying to patronise me but I am not having it. why even stay and write and not just leave ? your response was that you aren't happy with the forum ( or yourself ) and have come here to spam and stir trouble.
it is not welcome here .

I did not imply that brakes are not important, I was implying it is a minor repair to sort out that it is no big deal in terms of getting ti fixed;

None of above, I am concerned about the safety of others, while you play Mr Fix It on you 'car'. Take it for an MOT and see what they say about it!

Andy

Hi, I took it for a good drive today down the motorway and got the engine hot, I removed the oil cap and the dipstick tube but there did not seem to be any smoke or steam from either the oil cap or dipstick so I assume as there is no blow by thus no engine piston issues.

your thoughts on this video ?

Seems fine to me. I still wouldn’t mess about with replacing the turbo though.

Thank you

I didn't questipon the pistons as the engine performs brilliantly and does not burn any oil. Now that we have established that the rngine pistons are good does this now point to the turbo at the early stages of failure ?

You're really putting us on the spot here :whistle:
Looking at the blow by video I'd say the engine was doing fine.
I'd also say the turbo is the only item that can cause the oil deposits you mention - they work extremely hard under very hot conditions and bypassing oil mist comes with the deal.
It's very difficult for us to say how good or otherwise the turbo is, but if you can expose the vanes and see if there is any up and down play, it could be a clue. The problem is, some turbos use a bearing that floats with oil pressure so there is always some movement.
Do check that the vanes can't come into contact with the casting though - if you can see any scraping then its worn badly.

You're really putting us on the spot here :whistle:
Looking at the blow by video I'd say the engine was doing fine.
I'd also say the turbo is the only item that can cause the oil deposits you mention - they work extremely hard under very hot conditions and bypassing oil mist comes with the deal.
It's very difficult for us to say how good or otherwise the turbo is, but if you can expose the vanes and see if there is any up and down play, it could be a clue. The problem is, some turbos use a bearing that floats with oil pressure so there is always some movement.
Do check that the vanes can't come into contact with the casting though - if you can see any scraping then its worn badly.
Hi, thank you very much

The car has had an oil change every 7000 miles or so and has been well maintained, (not changed the oil in the laat 20,000 thoguh as was worried about the sump ) the engine itself has never let me down in over 3 years I have had the car. I did not assume the engine pistons were the cause of the oil underneath the throttle body box.

The turbos on these 120bhp diesel 1.9 vectras seem to be quite hidden away at the rear underside of the engine, whereas on the 150bhp Vectra the turbo looks easier accessible as it's at the front of the engine, so I'm not sure if I would beabe to test anything on the turbo by hand unless it's off the car ?

I uploaded a photo here, there is a little amount of oil in inside of the throttle body, whether that is normal I'm not sure . I read up online and it seems a bit of oil is normal inside of the throttle body, especially on a higher mileage engine. In my opinion the little bit of oil inside of the throttle body on my car is not excessive.

I took the old throttle body apart and I am more concerned about the oil leaking from underneath on the bottom of the throttle body , there is a circuit board inside and that was covered in oil

I remember about 2 years ago I think it was when a mechanic was doing the flywheel and clutch on it , after he took offf the air intake hose to the throttle body he asked if the turbo was going on it as it has some oil inside the throttle body

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_095630.jpg
    IMG_20200530_095630.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 1,930
  • IMG_20200530_100057.jpg
    IMG_20200530_100057.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 1,757
Last edited:
For sure, that oil isn’t doing the throttle body much good, is it :eek:
That oil is coming from the turbo but it could carry on like that for ages......no one can forecast how long its got to go.

For sure, that oil isn’t doing the throttle body much good, is it :eek:
That oil is coming from the turbo but it could carry on like that for ages......no one can forecast how long its got to go.

Hi John, I assume you are referring to the oil on tohe circuit board and gears ? It had more oil than that in it but I emptied it out before taking this photo

does the small amount of oil inside the throttle body itself look normal ?
The throttle body in the photo is the one I took off the other week when I repalced it, and the replacement is leaking oil also which probably looks the same inside as that one does.

Is it almost certainly turbo related ? If so I may go about just getting it done. I would not sell my car without having to mention it to the buyer anyway as the underside of the throttle body is leaking oil e.t.c. THerefore I would probably have to reduce the price of the car by £300 or I can go about getting it fixed for the same amount and have the problem fixed. so it will cost me either way. ( probably didn't help when the turbo boost pipe was left un attached for 1700 miles of driving )

I just need to know for sure if it is definately the turbo before I set about replacing it or may it possibly be something else ? PCV valve (if this car has one ) ?

thanks

Normally oil in a throttle body is a blocked breather. Well it was on my omega 2.2 petrol.

I wouldn’t worry about it tbh. It’s a 200,000 mile car. You have done well to get it this far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back