When I Was 10 in 1946..........

S

Shutpa

..........life was great in primary 6! Thirty two boys and we all got on like a house on fire. And then in 1946 my dad decided to buy a new house and I had to move school. From the very beginning, I hated it. My new school was run by bullies and as the newcomer, I was the daily target. Punches, kicks and verbals were the order of the day. And it didn't help when on my very first day the teacher told me to sit beside a boy who turned out to be the schools 'best fighter' and who got great pleasure in punching me in the ribs. My misery did not last long however.
One lunchtime, I was standing speaking to some classmates, when a shout, "Shutpa, watch out", alerted me to the fact that one of the school bullies was bearing down on me obviously intent on doing me serious harm. Terrified, just as he reached me and in order to protect myself, I bent down to minimise the contact. Imagine my surprise when my assailant flew through the air and landed flat out, about 8 feet away. I have never forgotten the reaction of my peers and from that moment on, I was king of the castle. They thought I meant it! And the 'best fighter' who sat next to me in class said, that same afternoon, that he wasn't the best fighter, I was! Little did he, or any of the rest of them know that I had no idea then and still have no idea, as to why that bully flew through the air when I bent down to protect myself.

What about you? Do you have any memorable stories from schooldays?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
When I was 11 in 1946 there was some Ninja fella at school who threw me across the corridor without even touching me. Which sucked, as I was the best fighter up until that point.

Nozzle

Fortunately, I don't have such experience. However, I would do the same if I was put in the situation like yours.

I was know as the "second best fighter" at school and only a lad called Robin who was the school bully was classed as better than me at scrapping. We treated each other with a mutual respect from a distance and never came to blows. Sixty years later I still wonder who would have won should it have come to it. Happy days.

Sponsored Links
I used to always get picked on in junior school, (early 60's), by the same lad. Dinner money, sweets etc taken and of course the hitting and kicking. It used to make me physically sick just the thought of going to school.
Then one day my brother told me where I was going wrong when I tried to fight back. I was drawing my arm back to punch the bully so he could see what I intended to do. He reacted faster than me so I never managed to get a blow in. My brother told me to hang my fist down at my side, loose and relaxed. Then when the bully started his taunting and shoving his face towards me I had to swing my arm directly upwards to hit his chin. It took a lot of practicing with my brother but I eventually got the hang of it.
Then it happened! I stood my ground as he started his usual tactics and when he got close I swung my arm straight up like a piston! Missed his chin but hit his nose so hard it literally smeared upwards over his face. Blood was everywhere as he staggered back and even his cronies backed away. I said something about I wasn't taking anymore of his bullying and if he tried again he would get more of the same.
We became best mates after that and I like to think I was the reason he stopped bullying others.

When I was about 10 at school I used to think that I was picked on because I wore glasses.

One day in the playground this guy called Paul Ellery jumped on me from behind with his arm around my neck. A stupid thing to do because I took his arm and threw him over my shoulder onto the ground.

I was never again attacked at that school.

At the next school there was a very big guy called Bill. Because he was so big everyone was frightened of him.

Now I had very strong wrists and found that I could beat him at arm wrestling. That gave me a reputation for being very strong and that protected me from being attacked.

When I was about 10 at school I used to think that I was picked on because I wore glasses.

One day in the playground this guy called Paul Ellery jumped on me from behind with his arm around my neck. A stupid thing to do because I took his arm and threw him over my shoulder onto the ground.

At the next school there was a very big guy called Bill. Because he was so big everyone was frightened of him.

Now I had very strong wrists and found that I could beat him at arm wrestling. That gave me a reputation for being very strong and that protected me from being attacked.

The question now is: How did you get such strong wrists at that age? :whistle: ;)

The question now is: How did you get such strong wrists at that age? :whistle: ;)

By changing hands frequently? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Back