Where Can I Buy A Piece Of Steel?

6 Apr 2012
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Where can I buy a rectangular piece of steel plate from?

Preferably galvanised. 1m to 2m long, 30mm to 43mm wide and around 5mm thick.

Something that I may stumble across if I keep looking around. But I have no idea where I should go to buy something like this. Either locally or on the web.
Sponsored Links
Local scrap yard, but you will have to be flexible with sizes. End of life yards will be the best, the ones that send stuff straight to the furnace. If they haven't got anything, they will usually point you in the right direction.


You probably have a steel stockist in your area, try golden pages etc. They will be more expensive, as the steel will be new. Galvanized might be a possibility, but doubtful. Usually sent for dipping after cutting/fabrication
If there are non in the housewares section at Tesco, then try a steel supplier
Sponsored Links
You would need to be very lucky to find a piece of steel the correct size AND be galvanized.

Because if it is not the right size and then you subsequently cut it, the coating will be pointless. Getting something galv dipped is a pain also.
Thank you for all the suggestions, which were most helpful. And once I understood that I needed to enter “flat”, “steel” and “bar” as search terms. I found plenty of suitable pieces in listings on ‘e-bay’ for reasonable, all inclusive cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links