Where can I get 2-3m one of these?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My LG widescreen display has a power cable a bit like a laptops. Jack in back of display, to box unit, and then a clover head plug to 10amp 3 pin plug. It's too short for me. I like to buy a 2-3m version of the last bit - clover head plug to 10amp 3 pin plug.

Can anyone send me a link where I can buy one of these online?

Thanks, photos below:

Attachments

• 25BFA25C-345D-4340-A074-EC2361D84E77.jpeg
    25BFA25C-345D-4340-A074-EC2361D84E77.jpeg
    226.7 KB · Views: 101
  • EBCEAFC5-58A0-439D-BEA5-C66B5B14499E_1_201_a.jpeg
    EBCEAFC5-58A0-439D-BEA5-C66B5B14499E_1_201_a.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 9432571A-FD17-4378-A7AC-4E33A7623F73.jpeg
    9432571A-FD17-4378-A7AC-4E33A7623F73.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 104
Sponsored Links
One observation. The Cloverleaf C5 connector is only rated at 2.5A, so I would suggest the fuse in the plug should be no more than 3A irrespective of the size of the cable!

Another observation. Those connectors are connected to 16 amp circuits via Schuko plugs in Europe with no problems.

Sponsored Links
Another observation. Those connectors are connected to 16 amp circuits via Schuko plugs in Europe with no problems.

And another observation. This forum is called Electric UK.

As I understand it we have a different set of regulations to the rest of Europe.

Last edited:
As I understand it we have a different set of regulations to the rest of Europe.
Rather we have a mishmash of standards some of which are harmonised some of which are not.

BS1363 has some stuff about fuse ratings and cable sizes, but I don't think it says anything about connectors on the other end of a cordset.

I haven't checked IEC 60320 but I have my doubts if it would say anything about fuse ratings given how few plugs have them.

BS1363 has some stuff about fuse ratings and cable sizes, but I don't think it says anything about connectors on the other end of a cordset.
So now we get back to the oft quoted 'The fuse is only to protect the cable' which makes a lot of sense but that is sometimes followed with 'if it needs a fuse it's the maunfacturers responsibility'.

Now as I understand, BS546 and BS4343 products are supposed to be correctly protected, there's even a statement that 2 or more BS4343 16's can share a 20A OCPD. Applying a bit of logic to other connectors I'd say the C5 should be correctly protected. just as sockets should be correctly protected under German and French regs.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
So now we get back to the oft quoted 'The fuse is only to protect the cable' which makes a lot of sense ...
Yes, it makes sense in terms of cables, per se, but ...
but that is sometimes followed with 'if it needs a fuse it's the maunfacturers responsibility'.
That qualification (which again makes sense) usually refers to the protection of 'connected equipment' (if it requires over-current protection which may be greater that that provided by the device protecting the cable feeding it).

However, I've never heard anyone extending that qualification for "connected equipment" to also include the connectors at the ends of a cable, and I don't really think that it would be very practical to try to implement that.

Kind Regards, John

When a socket oulet is part of an installation, then installation standards may have something to say about it's overcurrent protection. Though i'm not sure if the stuff about overcurrent protection for IEC60309 sockets is a normative part of BS7671 or just in one of the appendixes.

When an inlet connector is used to feed a piece of equipment, it is presumably the responsibility of the appliance designer to chose an inlet connector that is appropriate for the appliance's needs and either determine that overloading is unlikely or provide appropriate overload protection.

What does appear to "fall between the cracks" though is

1. feed through connectors on appliances
2. extensions/adapters/splitters

Ultimately in such caes it appears to be down to the end user to mitigate the risk of overloading.

Applying a bit of logic to other connectors I'd say the C5 should be correctly protected.
What is "correctly protected" though?

The C5 connector is intended for use all over the world. In Australia you can plug a regular domestic plug into a 32A socket. I haven't read Australian wiring regulations but I would presume they allow a 32A socket to be protected by at least a 32A breaker.

So it would appear to me that the designer of equipment with a C5 inlet, has to assume they may be facing upstream current protection of 32A and maybe higher.

The TV will have a fuse inside which will make it impossible to overload the input connector.

The TV will have a fuse inside which will make it impossible to overload the input connector.
It probably should have, and quite probably does.

However, I think the point being made is probably that the manufacturer of a cable with a connector on the end had no knowledge of, or control over, what it might be connected to and whether that item does, or does not, have a fuse that would 'protect' the connector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back