Where do you go if you want to find a Job ?

Sponsored Links
Word of mouth has always been my best avenue for work.
I used to use Gumtree, until they started charging!
I have a listing on google plus website and a well positioned sign in my area, other than that not had to promote or advertise my business for over two years.
Been turning work away!

Personal recommendation is two million times better than website recommendations, which may have been paid for or written by the builder and his family, friends or cell-mates.

Avoid anyone who just has a mobile number. Don't ring Freephone or 0870 numbers; they will be clearing agencies. You need a local landline, and a real-life address that you can go and look at. You can look up limited companies on https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-a-company and see how long they've been in business, and who the directors are. Use .gov.uk not .com or .co.uk

When you drive or walk around locally, look out for vans, ask for a card, write down the address of the house they are working at on the back.

After the job has finished, ask the householders what they thought.

If you find a tradesman you respect, ask if he knows someone in (other trade). E.g. my window cleaner knew a window fitter. The window fitter knew a roofer. The roofer knew a brickie. Good people don't like to recommend someone bad because it reflects on them. Bodgers and chancers hang around together.

Sponsored Links
all good advice from johnD
word off mouth is king
paid for sites cannot be impartial iff they take money without comprehensive vetting off both customer and trader
feedback means nothing unless a very high level off checking is included before any posts positive or negative are allowed :confused:
most sites will only spend time and effort removing negative or approving positive often unchecked "comments "
in other words virtually no effort into looking after the trader or customer with more effort into looking after proffits

What platform would you use if you wanted to take someone on ? where would you post or would you go by word of mouth for labour ?

I get plenty of calls, emails and postal application for employment and have employed via them. I only run a low staff business, so never really had to advertise for staffing. I have previously gone to the local colleges when looking for trainees and spoke to course tutors that input I respect.

I used to work for much larger company before starting up myself and was involved in staffing, then we used the government jobsite, agencies, word of mouth via current employees and the many people that called either via phone or in person.

im (I'm) intrested (interested) in creating a job website for the building trade as there dont (doesn't) seem to be a "go to " place for construction industry jobs, but i (. But I) would be intrested (interested) to hear what other people have used and there (their) views, thanks, Martin
If you create a web site with poor spelling, grammar and/or punctuation, it will lack credibility from the start. Consequently, you'll have to employ a copy editor.

Frankly, although it might seem like a good idea, I don't see a demand for it and I doubt you could make a profit even from adverts.

Sorry to be so negative but if there was a demand it would already exist.

Richard branson's dyslexic. Slagging of people's spelling etc is pretty low brow.

If Building go to a builders merchants and ask if they know any very busy builders looking for people, make sure you can do the job or you will not last longer than a day. Be honest with them so they know what you can actually offer, they will appreciate honesty.

Richard branson's dyslexic. Slagging of people's spelling etc is pretty low brow.

The OP accepted my constructive criticism as it was intended. Clearly a person with brains and someone worthy of support.

Richard Branson is aware of his weakness and has the sense and money to employ a copy editor.

BTW, for anyone running a business, I recommend his book "Like a Virgin".

Social networking, honestly I hate all that I had toast for breakfast element about it, but it really works wonders. Set up a business profile on a site then it will be slow to start with but if your good at what you do it will snowball (dont be tempted to mix business with pleasure however!!)

John D has hit it right on the head - go for personal recommendation every time. I could write a book on DIY disasters caused by shoddy workmen who pose on those websites as something they're not. If I had my way I would be getting these sites to check out all their 'tickets' - probably half of them would not be able to produce. Having said that I do know a couple of guys who do a really good job, finished nicely etc etc and neither of them have any qualies.
We have just had another guy from a rated Tradesman site and he's left us with more ripples over the plastered kitchen than there was before he started. I think plasterers should put their money where their mouth is and only take payment after the job has completely dried and any flaws will show up then. I would definitely have faith in someone like that.

Sponsored Links
Back