You can do it if you don't TP it.

Sponsored Links
I don't use TP........anyone else but TP, oh and in case you don't know Wickes is now owned by TP!!!

They do seem to have little time for customers (trying to be nice here) but on the up note every where else is cheaper.

Softus said:
Moral 2: don't expect any help at TP.

Nor any blockboard..or valley gutters... oh got loads of sarking felt & batons but erm you need a roofing merchant for the rest :eek: :rolleyes:

TP used to be a run down old yard many years ago in Bournemouth, they suddenly ( well last 2/3 yrs ) seem to have gone gone on a spree of buying out the small inependant builders merchants round here. Posh shops now but posh prices toooo :eek:
Is this a private equity thing in action ??? or wotever they call it :oops:

Hello Guys. I realise I'm probably going to get flammed to hell for admitting this, but I used to (NOTE: Used to) work for good old Travis and at my time there I cultivated good relationships with all my customers, so did the team that worked under me. I always took time to talk to people, never called them mate which is a favourite of mine as well (!!!). I often used to go out for a few beers with the lads that used to buy from us.

I also used to work for Build Center (before the crappy rebranding!) and used to do the same there.

I'd just like to say that not everyone that's worked in merchants is the same as the picture you paint. Some of us are very knowledgeable, although I don't profess to know everything of course! If I didn't know, I'd find out. Everyone (almost) wanted to deal with me and only me, because I did what I said, I could negotiate a deal that was acceptable and I generally knew what I was talking about.

Thanks for reading.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Matt, we need more people like you, especially for us chicks, as we are sent out to the builders merchants for a "watsit" and the guys just look at you like dumb bitch, you should be in the "watsit" department for that.........love!!!!!!!! god I hate being called love................ :cry:

There is a guy at my local B & Q who I go to all the time he works on the plumbing section but I ask him all the time for things as he always helps me, even if he doesn't know what I am talking about and doesn't look at you like "stupid bloody female" he finds out and gets the thing for me............... :D very nice man............. :D

He says to me " hello again, you not finished that house yet............lol"

Theres is also a very nice man at Homebase, the tip, tile shop, plumbers and garden centre..............can you tell I am renevating a house........ ;)

i had to reply to this because it made me quite angry... as for it being TP it makes not the slightest bit of difference. I work in a builders merchant - behind a counter, and sometimes in branches you have several different counters for different sectors of the industry. You'll find this is because they place people behind counters where they are more experiences i.e kitchens, plumbing, bathrooms etc...

if you went to one counter and the man behind the counter says you have to go to the other counter, thats because hes behind a counter that doesnt deal with what you want and wouldnt have been able to give you the answer anyway - hence saving you alot of time. Secondly what are you complaining so much about with him caling you "mate" what would you rather him call you? Its friendly and im sure from the sounds of you he probably would have liked to call you something alot worse A*R*S*E*H*O*L*E springs to my mind.

The man at the second counter could only advise you where to go what more do you want? him to go and actually purchase it for you? Sometimes you people on the otherside of the counter need to realise we are only doing our jobs and cant sell you things we dont have!

Ah yes - the old "the supplier is always right" principle. :D

thats not what i was saying, but sometimes you get somebody come in whose the wife of a builder and she'll ask you for something you've never even heard of, and by the time you've finally got to the point where you have an inkling of what hes sent her in for, your both ****ed off and stressed about it and are glad to see the back of eachother (no matter how polite you've been to her) seriouslly though how much are we meant to know about "its a thing that you put on it and it sort of looks grey in colour and it can be used for another thing...oh what is it...." its bloody frustrating is what it is love!

You're not the only person to have missed the point of my post and this topic.

I was the only customer in the entire shop, and it wouldn't have been possible to supply a more succinct and accurate name for the thing that I wanted, and yet not one single person was able to help because the only two people that TP deemed knowledgable enough were too busy selling bathrooms on the 'phone to even acknowledge my presence with one of those I-won't-keep-you-a-moment-guvnor type winks.

They were all useless.

Useless.

Our local TP is avoided like the plague by all the tradesmen round here. They have a security guard who checks every person out of the yard making sure that what you have on board matches the delivery ticket! You can imagine that there could be quite a que at 8am but he has to check every vehicle! And he keeps one of the gates shut so you can't bypass the check! Surprised no-one's lamped him yet. Probably has something to do with the Southern Area head office being in the same building.

giblets said:
They have a security guard who checks every person out of the yard making sure that what you have on board matches the delivery ticket!

and what happens if you already have goods on board?

does Adolf check you in as well :?: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back