Where to find adapters for vacuum cleaner to connect to power tools?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just recently purchased a Makita LS1018L and, although the dust-collection bag puts up a genuinely worthy fight with the sawdust, I've been out and purchased the Wickes wet-and-dry vacuum, as recommended in many places, in order to connect to it to help out (plus general tidy-up).

I'm struggling to find appropriate adapters to connect the two together, and obviously it would be helpful if I'd be able to connect various 18V Makita tools I have as well (circular saw, random orbit sander, jigsaw).

I did my best to measure the ports on the vacuum cleaner (inside 31mm, outside 35mm) and the mitre saw (inside 31.5mm, outside 37mm), but cannot find any adapters that seem to support those.

Advice welcome and gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
hose sizes vary by make and model, but you can get adaptors such as
s-l64.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vacuum-C...m2cc0eb9e1c:g:sR8AAOSwXY5ZPqH2&frcectupt=true

I'd be inclined to look for a hose that fitted your power tool, and use the adaptor where it entered the vac. Because the tool is more likely to be moving and vibrating so more likely to come loose.

You will also find hose ends, "cuffs" and joiners with a compression grip like a water pipe. Ask one of the suppliers what they have to fit your power tools.

p.s. I see they also have 5-metre long hoses!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?epid=16023361791&_ssn=spares-2-go&hash=item2cc0eb9e1c:g:sR8AAOSwXY5ZPqH2&item=192215227932&siteoverride=3&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=vacuum+hose&_sop=15

my local market sometimes has a fellow with a repair stall, you take in your old broken vac hose or brush and he assembles one to fit the same.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thank you for the replies. Have gambled on a cheap kit from Amazon, so will have to see how it fits.

Sponsored Links
Just be aware that a home vacuum doesn't have anywhere near same level of filtration as a proper industrial vacuum and that it will almost certainly blow the finer dust particles straight through the filter and out the back of the vacuum. Can be cured in the main by installing a pre-filter cyclone between the tool and the vacuum. Also may be why domestic vac makers don't make their tools directly compatible with power tools

Yup that’s true enough. Hoping to setup a cyclone thing at some point but I’m a fairly infrequent DIYer, so it can cope for the time being, plus I have a dust mask for when it’ll be very bad.

....I’m a fairly infrequent DIYer, so it can cope for the time being, plus I have a dust mask for when it’ll be very bad.
The fine dust I'm referring to is there even when you cannot see it, so saying that you'll wear a dust mask "when it'll be bad" is pretty pointless - you really should mask up whenever you are machining (sawing, sanding, routing, etc). Bet you don't have a proper mask either (for wood dust you really need a face-fit PP3 mask - £20 and upwards but last a long time)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back