Where to start diagnosing high voltage spikes?

Yeah well it looks like they might all have gone away. Just the diggers left and they say their job is filling in the hole. So may have missed my chance. I was going to say that the voltage looks pretty stable (between 235 and 250) but currently running at 260. I guess if I don't get to ask somebody I will just have to wait and see...

It's actually been much more stable over the last hour. You can see the break in the graph, where they shut off the power (240 marked in red):

Sponsored Links
Intriguing. I hope you find out the cause and let us know.

I doubt I'm going to find out why it happened. Here's the latest voltages. I assume that it's fixed though. So must have been a problem outside...

I doubt I'm going to find out why it happened. Here's the latest voltages. I assume that it's fixed though. So must have been a problem outside...[/net]
I'm not used to looking at these things, but have to say that I'm rather surprised that you're seeing that amount of variation.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
This is so easy to check I can't believe you have not rushed out and bought a voltage tester.

Actually I did go and get a plug in meter. Seems to be giving similar readings. Maybe not quite as high. But obviously I can't log the meter so it's harder to be sure. I also have a multi-meter.

Over what timescale as the last graph? It's still in excess of 253V which would concern me

I would suggest that though they have corrected what appears to have been a neutral fault, it is still strictly outside limits.

I would suggest that though they have corrected what appears to have been a neutral fault, it is still strictly outside limits.

Er okay. Then what is the solution? My UPS hasn't been acting up since they fixed it. Is it really something that needs investigating further? Are we talking get an electrician in to check wiring?

Nope it's still up to SP to continue to investigate and resolve, it should not be exceeding 253V for more than 5% of the time, if at all.
A simple 2.5% tap down of the supply transformer may be needed

The power guy said he'd checked the substation and checked the house input. Do we get onto them to install a voltage recorder then? To be sure there's a problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back