which boiler make choice?

Right then boys.............we've had the nice BG salesman round, I said we'd like a Viessman or a Remeha boiler and he said................'never heard of 'em', the quote for a boiler swap 'power clense' and a magnaclean bunged in is £2250, mum knows that a local bloke would be cheaper but wants the reassurance that she can ring 'em n get someone round easily, her cash her choice!.

Anyway, it was either a Vailliant (no idea which one) or a WB Greenstar12Ri, he said the computer told him the heating need was 10kw (small 2 bed insulated cavity wall bungalow). Is that WB a well made job or a bit of old tinplate held together with gripfill?

Sponsored Links
The Vaillant is a UK made 4 series and have small waterways in the heat exchanger. It is built like a Glowworm.

The WB Ri series is not a bad boiler and in my opinion a slightly superior unit to the Vaillant 4 model.

Many installers including myself offer a 5 yr manufacturer backed warranty on both, and the manufacturer will repair their boiler quicker than BG in nearly every case. You don't see two manufacturer vans parked outside a house very often, do you?

Often see two BG vans though. Its because the first BG bloke was driving a bus 4 months ago and has not seen this model in his fast track training.

And the manufacturer repair vans are twice the size of the BG ones even though they only have to look after one make. How many parts do you think the BG man has on his van?

Your mother is deluding herself.

Many installers including myself offer a 5 yr manufacturer backed warranty on both, and the manufacturer will repair their boiler quicker than BG in nearly every case. You don't see two manufacturer vans parked outside a house very often, do you?

Often see two BG vans though. Its because the first BG bloke was driving a bus 4 months ago and has not seen this model in his fast track training.

That's quite funny and not necessarily funny ha ha but funny it's a good point but I wish it were not quite so true observation..

Sponsored Links
other good thing with viessmann open vent is they dont need pump overrun also.fit in a kitchen cupboard nicely.and automatically come with 5 years parts and labour.viessmann trained or not.

Way I see it alot (all ?) of these 5 year warrantys have not been tested to date lets face it most of these boilers have only been fitted on masse in the uk since 2005 , time will tell ? some of these manus start getting to many failures , they will start to weasel there way out of it ? I have faith in them :) even Biasi Uk are offering a 5 year warranty now on some boilers , could be Christmas come early for some of there service agents ;)

Way I see it alot (all ?) of these 5 year warrantys have not been tested to date lets face it most of these boilers have only been fitted on masse in the uk since 2005 , time will tell ? some of these manus start getting to many failures , they will start to weasel there way out of it ? I have faith in them even Biasi Uk are offering a 5 year warranty now on some boilers , could be Christmas come early for some of there service agents

i agree in many aspects transam.yet as im a service agent for viessmann.i can tell you. there warranty is excellent, thats why we also install them.i have come across a few rouge 5 year ones ferolli being one of em.only last week i went to an install were the boiler wasnt properly commisioned causing the boiler fault.viessmanns head offices response,was to the help the customer.and get the boiler working.even though it was an install fault.ferollis response was an engaged phoneline for about a week when needed.

Had a run in with Ferroli myself a while back , in my view a dire company to deal with , total shower to put it mildly !!
Never used Viessman ? or had much to do with them , had an interesting conversation with Stewart Purchase (X MD ) ounce ref stainless steel & ally heat exc's !

I have never been 100% sure as to how the installer stands legally when useing a manu' that uses service agents , as I understand it they would not be representing the manufacturer on any service visit ?? all of this came to light with my on going spat with Biasi UK ! :)

I have never been 100% sure as to how the installer stands legally when useing a manu' that uses service agents , as I understand it they would not be representing the manufacturer on any service visit ?? all of this came to light with my on going spat with Biasi UK ! icon_smile.gif

suppose it depends on the manu.with us we had to sign a contract,and as we are representing viessmann. certain term had to be placed e.g picking up work for own gain an no no etc.sounds like youv had hell then from biasi.

suppose it depends on the manu.with us we had to sign a contract,and as we are representing viessmann. certain term had to be placed e.g picking up work for own gain an no no etc.sounds like youv had hell then from biasi.[/quote]

Must admit due to our problems with Biasi Uk , we tended to tar all service agents with the same brush , which with hindsight is wrong & unfair !!! think I apologised on this forum for it a while back now !
The attitude down here is (or was ?) find something, anything wrong with the install , & if you cannot they were probably dissapointed ! they would leave 6 or 7 pages of A3 paper with every call out advertising themselves !( meaning the service agent) , room stats started to get measured off the floor ! if we were called out intially due to the boiler not working & we left the screws out of the casing for them that would cause problems eg tampering ect had one callout were it transpired that a jumper on the pcb was in the wrong place , he refused to pull it off & put it right , could not have come like it he said ect !
Many years ago we were approached by Biasi to be service agents rep came down here to talk to me , when he told me what they were paying I nearly fell off the chair laughing :) I asked why would any one do it ?his response was , you get referals , But he also said you get to build up a service round , the general implication was or is ghet called out to an inwarranty fault & the oppurtunity to get customers (poach ) by whatever means? becomes possible !!
agile is or was a service agent for them ?? never had any dealings with him ! & obviously he would not engage in this practice , would you Agile ?
because he is an Honarable person ! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back