which card do I need? jib ecs cscs ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guidance would be appreciated as I don't know where to start with the 'cards'.

I have
- NVQ level 3 Electrical Installations
- 18th Edition
- Part P
- little experience (4 years as on site maintenance electrician)

Looking to get jobs as a mate on refurb / rewire contracts.

Which card do I need to get?

jib - on the website https://www.jib.org.uk/ i can't find an application section?
how can i obtain the jib gold card?

cscs - apparently "The CSCS Green Labourer Card allows workers to complete tasks on sites at entry-level positions" but on the CSCS website https://www.cscsonline.uk.com/ the info is "Have you completed a CITB Health, safety and environment test" - confusing!
Do I need to first pass the CSCS exam and then pass CITB exam so then I can get the CSCS card?
Additional problem is that within the "Card Finder" i am unbale to find either my qualifications nor occupation. Is this card for electricians?

ecs - perhaps this is the one i should get? https://www.ecscard.org.uk/register

Sponsored Links
I have .....
- Part P
What do you mean by that? Part P of the Building Regs is only one sentence, so it's hard to see that one can have very much 'training' in relation to that :)

Do you perhaps mean that you are a member of one of the 'competent persons' ('self-certifying/notifying') Schemes and, if so, which one?

Kind Regards, John

Part P of the Building Regulations C&G 2393
"Training" is as much as a few hours reading :LOL:
but with the 60% pass mark, one could skip the reading and just proceed to "exam".

Sponsored Links
Aren't what you are calling '18th edition' and 'Part P' the same thing?

Part P being a misnomer for the 18th edition regulations course.

Actual Part P of The B.R.

upload_2022-5-16_16-15-56.png

That's all of it; there is no more.

Part P of the Building Regulations C&G 2393 ... "Training" is as much as a few hours reading :LOL: but with the 60% pass mark, one could skip the reading and just proceed to "exam".
Fair enough, but the C&G really should know better than to give it such a title, since its scope obviously must go beyond just "Part P" - since as I said (and you presumably know) ..
Part P of the Building Regulations (IN ITS ENTIRITY) said:
Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.
:)

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough, but the C&G really should know better than to give it such a title, since its scope obviously must go beyond just "Part P" - since as I said (and you presumably know) ..
:)

Kind Regards, John

I suspect C&G were heartily sick and tired of people asking them for "a Part P course" so decided to spare themselves and make it easier for people to find the course they probably need.

I suspect C&G were heartily sick and tired of people asking them for "a Part P course" so decided to spare themselves and make it easier for people to find the course they probably need.
Yes, that could well be the explanation - albeit rather annoying, since it helps to perpetuate the apparent misunderstandings about what "Part P" actually is!

Kind Regards, John

The city and guilds course designation is
Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings (2393)

Various training establishments advertise the course as 'part p' to entice students.

The city and guilds course designation is Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings (2393) Various training establishments advertise the course as 'part p' to entice students.
Ah, thanks - much more sensible. I therefore withdraw my criticism of C&G !

Kind Regards, John

I only used the large bold font as I copied the title from the c&g website.
No problem, and there's no need to be apologetic - I didn't comment on the font, since I assumed that to be the reason (and the forum software simply quoted it 'as it was') :)

Kind Regards, John

For any card, you must first have done the HSE assessment, details here: https://www.ecscard.org.uk/content/Health,-Safety-Environmental-Assessment

Once that's done you can apply for a card - what card you can apply for depends on various things including what qualifications you have got and what you are working as. A list of the available types is here: https://www.ecscard.org.uk/card-types

thats all fine but when you tell them about your city and guilds you completed in 1988 they are not on the list as the numbers have changed ….

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back