Which Company to work for

ive just feel that BG has come too soon for me. I've never done plumbing, never had to fix cookers and im getting these jobs everyday and im struggling. Ive been fine with the boiler breakdowns so just want to concentrate on fixing boilers to be honest.

How about Transco?

perhaps this is too late but some advice from someone who has the gold plated t-shirt.

BG will train you to a standard and then throw you right in at the deepest deep end ever invented. they are utter ****e at looking after their new starts.....fact! it is up to you what you make of it after that. you could become the nightmare dont give a damn engineer that pricky campbell would have a field day on, or you could stick it out and learn to fix cookers and stuff you have no clue about and take the initial flack like a man.

BG customers are scum.....all of them. they dont deserve the steam off my urine, but they pay the mortgage. they demand too much, they think that they are the centre of your universe.

the trick is to treat them like they treat you. if they are nice, you are nice. if they are scum, you are scum. its the only way to survive in that job. the managers should be nodded at when they speak and then promptly ignored the minute you leave the team talk. they are no more worthy than the customer.

treat the job like you will be sacked the very next day and its not that bad a living. just do your 8 hours and fix boiler problems honestly with no messing about and ignore all the other carp that comes with it.

if you dont think you are up to it then get out but like others have said you will be fixing the same problems, just in a different uniform.

Sponsored Links
well not really because I can fix boilers all day, just not cookers and plumbing problems, and I dont feel they will allow me the time to learn how to either.

Good post though

well not really because I can fix boilers all day, just not cookers and plumbing problems, and I dont feel they will allow me the time to learn how to either.

Good post though

thats what i mean though. take as much time as you need on every job. whats the worst that will happen? whoopee...im sacked :rolleyes:

it will never happen, and if it does they will give you so much warning you could study particle physics before you get your papers.

im a new starter so to speak with bg. im on the installation side and its really good. no sales targets as we dont have to sell anything. start at 9 finish at 4 mon to thurs and fri off. ****ing easy

Sponsored Links
im a new starter so to speak with bg. im on the installation side and its really good. no sales targets as we dont have to sell anything. start at 9 finish at 4 mon to thurs and fri off. **** easy

your wage is poor though. id rather take some strife and earn some good money.

took just over 35k last year so if thats a bad wage then im happy being poorly paid

i will stand corrected if you are truly getting that for a four day week. all of the installers up my way are working 50-60 hours to make that.....and thats from the horses mouth so to speak.

Newcomer i think the biggest problem is you tried to run before you could walk.
You done a 30 week course and at the end of it you didn`t even know about something basic such as capping and plugging pipes so that really makes me wonder about the standard of training you recieved for quite a lot of your own money.

Some of the questions you have asked on here are absolute basic to say the least but at least your asking.

You then decide to join a company that is one of the most profit//sales target/job count driven in the country an low an behold you find out they just don`t repair boiler but are a gas company an so work on every type of gas appliance there is.And want a days work.

WHAT did you expect, enough people told you.

One of the options you should think about is stay with BG and get a transfer to the service side. OK it is less money but there is less pressure and you will work on numerous makes and models and have more time to learn and get experience. Do full strip downs on them an not that telegan sh#te.
Other than that you are back to square one going into another company blind and a good chance you will fall on your ar#e again

i worked for HEATEAM about 4 years ago.lasted 9 months , I was promised £30,000 but paid 19,000 pa , bonus was based on how the fsm felt at the time . poor training as their range is SO big. I would try elsewhere

Sorry buddy but that was 4 years ago times have changed and so have a lot of personel..In herts you get london weighting which bumps your money up. should expect to clear 2K a month when running up to full workload.

Poxi how many jobs do you get/do a day are your vans well stocked for first time completion. Also are you under any pressure not to do warranty work free and find fault with the install. In general is it a half decent company to work for

I reckon stick it out as long as you can, because experience gained at the sharp end is invaluable. If you spend ages mending a cooker, it's because they didn't train you, isn't it? If you were self employed you'd spend half a day changing an ignition unit you'd quoted £50 or whatever to do. Imagine going s/e - so many of the jobs you feel you have to do aren't what you want. Feels like DIY occasionally, fumbling your way through something you've never seen.

You can only do your best, and you're a relative beginner. Unless there's a pool of really experienced guys trying to get jobs (which I haven't noticed!) why should they sack you, and, as nixto says, so what?

I've quizzed a few Transco-replacement guys. They've all been happy to not have much of a challenge in their work, and they all share a robust attitude towards their management. Some companies have a better set-up than others, where the guy can choose his next job. They claim to earn OK round London, £36k ish with average o/t and one guy said one of their team made £55k by doing lots of o/t last year.
Most of them do shifts of some sort, or have to be on call, because of the nature of the work. One mob do 4 days on 4 days off, which may be ok. It means 4 days hol gives you 12 days off, but you have to work some weekends, obviously.
SOme comanies are subbed out to by the likes of the main gas supplier for an area, so they do a restricted type of wor, if you feel like changing meters all day...

ive just feel that BG has come too soon for me. I've never done plumbing, never had to fix cookers and im getting these jobs everyday and im struggling. Ive been fine with the boiler breakdowns so just want to concentrate on fixing boilers to be honest.

How about Transco?

perhaps this is too late but some advice from someone who has the gold plated t-shirt.

BG will train you to a standard and then throw you right in at the deepest deep end ever invented. they are utter s***te at looking after their new starts.....fact! it is up to you what you make of it after that. you could become the nightmare dont give a damn engineer that pricky campbell would have a field day on, or you could stick it out and learn to fix cookers and stuff you have no clue about and take the initial flack like a man.

BG customers are scum.....all of them. they dont deserve the steam off my urine, but they pay the mortgage. they demand too much, they think that they are the centre of your universe.

the trick is to treat them like they treat you. if they are nice, you are nice. if they are scum, you are scum. its the only way to survive in that job. the managers should be nodded at when they speak and then promptly ignored the minute you leave the team talk. they are no more worthy than the customer.

treat the job like you will be sacked the very next day and its not that bad a living. just do your 8 hours and fix boiler problems honestly with no messing about and ignore all the other carp that comes with it.

if you dont think you are up to it then get out but like others have said you will be fixing the same problems, just in a different uniform.

What a tom tit you are nickso :LOL: :LOL:

Poxi how many jobs do you get/do a day are your vans well stocked for first time completion. Also are you under any pressure not to do warranty work free and find fault with the install. In general is it a half decent company to work for

1. 6-7 with a bit of driving. 8 if all are local. Summer season less hours less work average 6.
2.We have just under 1000 items on the vans (most common parts) and try to achieve a min 95% FTF (First time fix)
3. No pressure at all. Im there to help you would be surprised how many times i`ve had to explain how to wire a boiler up correctly to a installer (i.e Switch live / Pump over-run). Often get nice tips for helping out. Of course if a boiler is full of crap after one month i ask the installer to come back and powerflush then i will fit a new heat exchanger.
4. Its a doddle. Pays pretty good now. And you gets lots of PJ`s out of it. :D

Sponsored Links
Back