Which credit card?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Santander one seems to have got less value now it's £3 a month to have it and 0.5% cash back.

Are there any decent cash back cards around st the minute? Average spend is about £500 a month.

Sponsored Links
You must have been reading my mind, Ian!

I've never had a credit card but, after a job offer where one was essential (to cover and reclaim business expenses), I think I probably need one. If only to have one more duck in place, should the situation arise again.

Just been looking on the MSE website, and it's a minefield of information: I'm at a loss even where to start.

Almost sticking a pin in, Barclay's Reward looks OK, as I intend to pay in full each month, and you do get rewards (albeit, in vouchers). Or, M & S do cash back, I think?

Any links to a simple suitability site would be appreciated :)

Reading on the MSE website, the actual cashback rate can vary on a single card, depending on where you spend I.e. on M & S, you get 1% on M & S spend, but only 0.2% on any other spend.

I presume you want flexibility on where you spend? I.e. decent average return?

In my opinion you are a bit silly to not have a credit card. You can get such good rewards even on the fee free ones (no monthly charge or yearly charge) then as long as you pay in full every month you get lots of great stuff. I like the reward flights the American Express offers meaning every year I go on holiday I get a nice free upgrade or a free flight in full if I have saved enough.

Ian take a look here for cash back ones https://www.uswitch.com/credit-card...IV801titZ8UxCmk-8mfMijIJrLw5YiLZ6oaAgcT8P8HAQ

Sponsored Links
Buying goods on any credit card also provides insurance under Section 75 of the Sales of Goods Act on all purchases over £100 against non delivery or premature failure.

I use Barclaycard rewards, monthly spend around £1.5 -£2k, mainly on business expenses, usually cash in my points for Amazon vouchers, not a fantastic return TBH, I am considering Amex for the flight points, but there are quite a few places who do not take it due to high commission charges

Nationwide do a free VISA card that gives 0.5% cashback. (With AMEX you can get much more, but as crystall ball wrote, many places don't accept them)

I thought that I read that the Nationwide card, you had to have a Nationwide current account to qualify?

I have a Nationwide account so will have a look at that one. Cheers :)

In my opinion you are a bit silly to not have a credit card.
As long as you don't mind big brother watching over you...or possibly HMRC knowing exactly what time transactions were carried out , to whom they were carried out to and what was purchased..

You could buy things you don't want - to throw them off the scent.

Don't you have any cards, or a 'phone, or a modern car, or a sat-nav - or a computer?

how about no credit card and live within your financial limit!.just saying

As long as you don't mind big brother watching over you...or possibly HMRC knowing exactly what time transactions were carried out , to whom they were carried out to and what was purchased..
Gosh yes, imagine giving away information that you have just bought a Dyson with added suction!:eek:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back