Which direction to lay flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am laying some engineered oak flooring, and am deciding on which direction to lay the boards. It for my master bedroom, which has a small walk-in wardrobe which I will continue the flooring into. The room is east facing. Here are a couple of photos.

viewFromDoor.JPG
This photo is the view from the door facing east. The double doors are the main source of natural light. In this photo, the floor joists run from left to right. The wall to the left is the longest wall in the room. The bedhead will be against the wall with the sockets in the right of the photo.

viewFromWindow.JPG
This photo is the view with my back against the double doors.

My inclination is to run the boards from the main door to the window, perpendicular to the floor joists, going with the source of light. I've read that I should go perpendicular to the joists as most floors will have some dips and peaks based on the joist. The flooring downstairs is the same, and all flows in this direction. However, I think I may have some awkward cuts around the radiator pipes.

What are others thoughts on this? What direction would you lay them?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back