Which Saw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a saw that would be used for cutting long lengths of wood for door frames and for fascia boards.

Would a circular saw be best or what other types would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
Sliding mitre saw.

Does that job & will do plenty more later on.

Which one depends on how much you want to spend.

If you dont want to spend a l then there is always these. :D

A Jack handsaw will do.

But it depends on if you are doing 5 or 500 cuts.

A circular saw is not the best type for cutting timber narrower than the saw's base bate

Here you are, a man that knows wood well.

Whats a "base bate" woody? :D

And why is a circular saw not good for what you have described?
I'm curious to know & learn.

Sponsored Links
Whats a "base bate"

I have not got a clue ..... neither do I know how anyone can type a b instead of a pl :rolleyes:

Try following a line and doing a square cut with a circular saw when you cant see the timber beneath the bate, and can't keep the saw steady on a narrow bit of timber

="^woody^";p="1273884"Try following a line and doing a square cut with a circular saw when you cant see the timber beneath the bate, and can't keep the saw steady on a narrow bit of timber

Easy peasy.

You supplement the narrow bit with a wider slave bit to stabilize.

To keep the saw steady you cramp an aluminium straight edge (fence) for the saw base plate to follow.

Aaaanyhoo, you do not use hand held circ' saws for their accuracy, merely for their portability.

And by the time you've messed about clamping guides or using additional timber ....... you could have cut through it with the hand saw

i know it's been a week or so ,but Haveagoer said"I need a saw that would be used for cutting long lengths of wood for door frames and for fascia boards".the question is will you be using it to rip or cross cut,if you want to rip cut the timber(along the grain) i would suggest buying a cheap table saw.ok,i know you will need to practice your frisbee throwing technique with the blade and buy a decent mid-range multi-purpose one,but it's still worth it if you have a lot of ripping to do,not only that,you then have a saw for all seasons,or you could try a flip over saw,though i've never used one so can't vouch for how good they are.

="^woody^";p="1273884"Try following a line and doing a square cut with a circular saw when you cant see the timber beneath the bate, and can't keep the saw steady on a narrow bit of timber

Easy peasy.

You supplement the narrow bit with a wider slave bit to stabilize.

To keep the saw steady you cramp an aluminium straight edge (fence) for the saw base plate to follow.

What's the difference between cramping and clamping ? I've always wondered :?:

I think I might need to get out a bit more.

What's the difference between cramping and clamping ? I've always wondered.

Clamp, and the verbal participle clamping, are the terms used in North America; cramp and cramping are the traditional terms used in the UK. However, American usage tends to drive out UK usage and I suspect that is happening with these words.

So, no need for you to get out more at all.

What's the difference between cramping and clamping ? I've always wondered.

Clamp, and the verbal participle clamping, are the terms used in North America; cramp and cramping are the traditional terms used in the UK. However, American usage tends to drive out UK usage and I suspect that is happening with these words.

So, no need for you to get out more at all.

Thanks for that, however, I suspect you may need to get out a bit more :LOL:

So..... you car is cramped in this country :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back