Which tool brands are the best?

If you are buying corded tools, I would buy each product based on its own merits rather than brand. If you are going cordless then not having to carry lots off different battery types and chargers is a bonus. AFAIK Makita has the widest range of 18v cordless tools.

Sponsored Links
they also own Irwin, Lenox, and Hilmor https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Black_&_Decker#:~:text=2016: Stanley Black & Decker announced,$1.95 billion from Newell Brands.
difficult to say which is the order, i suspect all the trades use those makes, I chose Dewalt as a DIYer, just because the first cordless tool i purchased was on special offer, and once you buy into a cordless system easier to stay with the brand
Price to purchase, special deals , I think would be a consideration, with cordless, once you have bought into a system you tend to stay with the same make
I tend to use Bosch accessories , blades etc , but recently moved to saxton
Bosch also own Freud.
Bosch are Blue & Green range https://www.bosch-professional.com/...ch-professional-products/bosch-green-vs-blue/ Blue - Pro, Green - DIY

Last edited:
The tradesmen i known also base it on how often they will use it.

Buy good quality for core tools, but if you've got 1 job that requires something, or 1 job a year, it probably makes sense to buy a cheaper version than spend £££ on something that gathers dust most of the year.

Sponsored Links
dewalt is black and decker
green is diy bosch blue is trade "skill" is also part off the group

No simple answer to that, they're all good brands and ones favoured by many tradesman. Trouble is no one manufacturer makes the best everything. Besides you'd have to define best first.

Yes I know what you mean but I would rather spend a bit more money and get a brand that will last me because some of the things you can buy are hugely expensive especially cordless drills etc I just want a good quality brand that's good enough for trade use
That's any of the well known brands then, they will all do that. The only differences between them apart from colour are features and maybe price.

I've used and abused Ryobi since 2006, and with no problems despite the ney-sayers. In years gone you could get great deals on kits, and as a system there was a massive range at good prices. Today however, the price difference is not so great and batteries are relatively expensive compared to other brands, so rather than Ryobi being an automatic recommendation, they would be just a consideration along with other brands.

For you however, non-trade, you don't need trade performance. A Bosch green will do you just as well as a Bosch blue. Even the stuff from Aldi and Lidl - who now do a big range of tools with dead cheap high capacity batteries and come with a 3 year warranty (longer than many trade tools) will be fine.

Don't fixate on name alone.

Someone said Bosch had been taken over by Black and Decker - I don't know if that's had any impact on their overall quality but I've not heard anybody say anything negative about Boschs quality.

Blue Bosch will be fine for your purposes, but having gone from green Bosch to blue Bosch and then to Makita, the difference in quality design and performance was very noticeable to me as a DIYER. I acknowledge that most DIYER's do go for the cheapest tool.

Blup

The tradesmen i known also base it on how often they will use it. Buy good quality for core tools, but if you've got 1 job that requires something, or 1 job a year, it probably makes sense to buy a cheaper version than spend £££ on something that gathers dust most of the year.
That makes good sense

Last edited by a moderator:
That's any of the well known brands then, they will all do that. The only differences between them apart from colour are features and maybe price.

I've used and abused Ryobi since 2006, and with no problems despite the ney-sayers. In years gone you could get great deals on kits, and as a system there was a massive range at good prices. Today however, the price difference is not so great and batteries are relatively expensive compared to other brands, so rather than Ryobi being an automatic recommendation, they would be just a consideration along with other brands.

For you however, non-trade, you don't need trade performance. A Bosch green will do you just as well as a Bosch blue. Even the stuff from Aldi and Lidl - who now do a big range of tools with dead cheap high capacity batteries and come with a 3 year warranty (longer than many trade tools) will be fine.

Don't fixate on name alone.
i used to shout the praises off ryobi as 80% as good as the big boys toys at 40% the price with cheap batteries to boot
now they have dramatically upped there game and prices with tool prices and quality fairly compatible but batteries now overpriced
a fairly typical comment off the time lol
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/18v-ryobi-one-range-2013.369197/
https://community.screwfix.com/threads/ryobi-cordless.21093/

Last edited:
Blue Bosch will be fine for your purposes, but having gone from green Bosch to blue Bosch and then to Makita, the difference in quality design and performance was very noticeable to me as a DIYER. I acknowledge that most DIYER's do go for the cheapest tool. Blup
Some DIY guys are doing something almost all the time

A Bosch green will do you just as well as a Bosch blue. Even the stuff from Aldi and Lidl - who now do a big range of tools with dead cheap high capacity batteries and come with a 3 year warranty (longer than many trade tools) will be fine. Don't fixate on name alone.
I'd be fine with something midrange

Some DIY guys are at it all the time, I know a DIYer who is so good at what he does and I'm hoping he'll give me a bit of a hand on my current project.
I can't think what power tool a DIYer could be constantly using apart from a router - and if he is using that constantly then he would have a bench router which should be rated for high use anyway.
There are only so many holes to drill or wood to cut at home.

I know people who have cheap power tools from Argos (Challenge) and no-names off ebay and they cope with all general DIY and more involved home projects.

I think would be a consideration, with cordless, once you have bought into a system you tend to stay with the same make
I see that Dewalt seem to have nothing negative written about them

MOD: Threads merged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back