Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i am fitting new bathroom suite, and would be grateful
for advice on which type of 40mm waste pipe would be best to box in
compression or solvent. cheers

Sponsored Links
hi dan, thanks for the reply.
can i ask can i pre fit without solvent , then glue when i am happy.
and also my shower tray came with a nice chrome metal top with pullout
grid that has to have a p trap yet i am told to fit the mcalpine plastic waste and trap ,this has a compression type fitting for the waste,
is that ok? cheers james

You can, but sometimes it is a real barsteward to get the fittings apart again.

Unfortunately on the traps you have little choice, but if you can leave an access panel so that you can get at it in the future.

Sponsored Links
shower tray came with a nice chrome metal top with pullout
grid that has to have a p trap yet i am told to fit the mcalpine plastic waste and trap ,this has a compression type fitting for the waste,
is that ok? cheers james

Will be fine - unusual for the metal pull out plughole not to be an integral part of a supplied trap bottle. Can you provide details out of curiosity?

Also, if and when the pipe comes outside, don't forget to install access points to give yourself a future fighting chance!!

The correct way to make up waste pipe if it's an awkward shape is to make make it up dry and make sure it all fits ok including any traps etc. Mark the fittings and pipe with a pen so that when you fit together using solvent weld, you know the exact position. Yes they are sometimes hard to get apart but never had one so far that I havn't been able to dissmantle.

talking about access that takes my on to my next problem.
i had to rip out the floor because the owner before us had alot of leaks
and i fitted a waterproof plywood floor with a plan to fitting tiles, now the other half wants wood flooring , i dashed out and got lamnate with a sealer for the joints, now i told dont put it into a bathroom , more so
because i had i free standing bath ,so go for vinyl. any views?

Laminate flooring in a bathroom is not a g odd idea unless you have bought the special stuff...

cap010.JPG

The correct way to make up waste pipe if it's an awkward shape is to make make it up dry and make sure it all fits ok including any traps etc. Mark the fittings and pipe with a pen so that when you fit together using solvent weld, you know the exact position. Yes they are sometimes hard to get apart but never had one so far that I havn't been able to dissmantle.

When you use solvent - coat it on reasonably thickly to provide slippage and work quickly. When it's on, it's on :cry:

thanks swidders and squeaky,i have gone off track abit talking floors
getting back to pipe work yes the shower came with a waste but no trap
and i am told that a p trap would be a bad move because it my clog up
and access point isnt going to be easy, it would be flooring up or kitchen ceiling down, buti tink the all in one could go wrong aswell? cheers
again thanks for all replys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back