White deposits on oil dip stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Peugeot 405 1.9 Petrol, J reg, 90k. Went to check the oil level and found creamy deposits at the end of the dip stick. I suspect this may show water mixing in with the oil. The oil needed topping up which I did. The car runs v well and is v reliable.

Do we have a serious problem or do I just need to keep an eye on the oil level?

Sponsored Links
Modern engine oils have such good emulsifiers that, they can actually draw moisture out of the atmosphere. This can lead to emulsion in the oil, even if you haven't got a problem. If you haven't had an oil change recently, now would be a good time.

Can also just be engine not getting warm enough - is it used mainly for short distances ?
If so,a good ride out (50 miles+) should do it good.

Worst case scenario is leaking head gasket.......just to cheer you up!!

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Worst case scenario is leaking head gasket.......just to cheer you up!!
But since the leak is between the oil and waterways, (not from a cylinder) this probably indicates a corroded head (caused by ommiting to put inhibitor in the coolant). This corrosion can sometimes be too deep to correct with a skim. New head would then be required. (or a bodge with a bit of aluminuim welding).

The fact that your oil level was low suggests that this is not happening. (water leaking across to your oilways would tend to top it up). If you're not losing water, and there isn't oil in the water, I'd stop worrying. Still worth giving it an oil change if it's due though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back