Who here lives alone ...

My wife is 10 years younger than me.
25+ years together.
She's an ok cook as long as the food gets more attention than her phone.
ALL beef is my domain as is the BBQ.
I pay all the household bills, vehicle bills and any ongoing stuff like cleaner, window cleaner, take away meals, meals out etc.
She pays for birthday stuff, holiday spends and generally looks after the sprogs. I pay our eldest a weekly S.O. to help him with weekly food bills at Uni.
You have to look after your wife both financially, emotionally and in the sack, else their minds will wander.

Reading that, having seen photos of you, combined with other info you've given us previously, I can only say "Wow. She is one lucky lady!" ;)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I did a job around an old neighbour and friends house today. He just lives in his kitchen with his TV alcohol and grub. Seems happy as Larry on his own....

He just lives in his kitchen with his TV alcohol and grub. Seems happy as Larry on his own....

That would soon drive me completely nuts. I used to go a little 'stir' crazy in my younger days, living alone in small flats, when I was only home for odd weekends - working away the rest of the time. I'm trying to keep myself busy at the moment, wondering round looking for things I no longer want/need so I can sell, scrap, give away, or dump them. I made over £1,500 in the past month moving things on.

When I worked for the electricity board, we were occasionally sent out doing meter checks when work was slack, nil advances they were called, I called at the flat of a local "character" who lived alone and spent most of his time sat on a bench talking to anyone who walked past, his meter had never moved for years

A friend of ours that mrs Mottie and I walk our dog with every day of the week was with a bloke for 20 years or more and they had a house together. Don’t know the full ins and outs of it but they split up about 15 years ago. She's now 62 and he's 74. Neither of them have met, or want to meet, anyone else. They now live 6 houses apart, enjoy their own lifestyles and get on much better now (in small doses) than they ever did when they were together. Both single, both have no children and both have named each other as the sole beneficiary of each other’s estate when they die.

A friend of ours that mrs Mottie and I walk our dog with every day of the week was with a bloke for 20 years or more and they had a house together. Don’t know the full ins and outs of it but they split up about 15 years ago. She's now 62 and he's 74. Neither of them have met, or want to meet, anyone else. They now live 6 houses apart, enjoy their own lifestyles and get on much better now (in small doses) than they ever did when they were together. Both single, both have no children and both have named each other as the sole beneficiary of each other’s estate when they die.

There was a comedy series long ago on TV, which that reminded me of, where the couple had split up and one of them had bought the house next door, then both got on fine living separate lives. 'My wife next door' or something.

A friend of mine, left his wife, moved out, divorced, then changed his mind moved back in and they remarried.

That would soon drive me completely nuts. I used to go a little 'stir' crazy in my younger days, living alone in small flats, when I was only home for odd weekends - working away the rest of the time. I'm trying to keep myself busy at the moment, wondering round looking for things I no longer want/need so I can sell, scrap, give away, or dump them. I made over £1,500 in the past month moving things on.

Drive me nuts too. I didn't enjoy my life on my own. But some are more relaxed than others....

I bet I know who's going to win that race.

There was a comedy series long ago on TV, which that reminded me of, where the couple had split up and one of them had bought the house next door, then both got on fine living separate lives. 'My wife next door' or something.

A friend of mine, left his wife, moved out, divorced, then changed his mind moved back in and they remarried.
John Alderton & Hannah Gordon, who in their right mind would divorce the lovely Hannah

Yes unfortunately the women know the law is very skewed towards their favour.

Unfortunately I am currently trapped if I left I would end up penniless and homeless,

but so is she, so you either fix the relationship and build it back or you take the hit now. It will only get more expensive later. The longer you stay married, the more expensive it gets.

Without appearing sexist or wanting to open my own bag of wasps to chew, the mistake I made was making mine too comfortable financially. She never felt the need to progress her earnings and even took a substantial pay cut to get a more "interesting" job. During our marriage, I set up numerous businesses for her which all were successful, but after a few years she lost interest. She never had any hunger for the money. Why would she when the "wallet" makes 10-15 times more than her? Easy life.

Last edited:
but so is she, so you either fix the relationship and build it back or you take the hit now. It will only get more expensive later. The longer you stay married, the more expensive it gets.

it's more about my boy than anything, i dont want him to miss out on anything,

if we split we would both struggle to afford a replacement house, even flats would be a struggle to buy just on each of our wages, meaning my son would be living somewhere in an environment that wouldn't be good for him.

neither of us could afford to pay the childcare costs, although he is now at school, it still costs a few hundred £ per month, and neither of us can afford to drop hours at work.

we have good and bad days, more bad than good, most the time she just goes off on one over stupid stuff and i really don't understand what the problem is, example, she say's "have you packed jack's water bottle".. i say "yep" she rants "yep, is that all you can say, thats all you seem to say these days, yep, erm and dunno, what is your problem".... i stand there just dumbfounded i'm being shouted at for saying the word yep to a question.

i ignored it for a bit, so i thought no i'll pick her up on it , i sent her a message while she was at work and said she was a bit out of order. After a few ranty messages back that just complained about me messaging her about it at work, she failed to see she was out of order. when she got home she moaned at me for messaging her and i told her outright its because had i waited till she got home she wouldn't listen and just turn the argument into something else entirely. she didnt really see my point and gave me a half arsed apology. lucky for me i'm quite thick skinned and know when to leave something and move on, something she is incapable of doing.

anyway enough of my public ranting about my wife, i've gone too far.

Last edited:

Without appearing sexist or wanting to open my own bag of wasps to chew, the mistake I made was making mine too comfortable financially. She never felt the need to progress her earnings and even took a substantial pay cut to get a more "interesting" job. During our marriage, I set up numerous businesses for her which all were successful, but after a few years she lost interest. She never had any hunger for the money. Why would she when the "wallet" makes 10-15 times more than her? Easy life.

yes that is a point, i am motivated about earning more money and have made great strides into doing that these past 4-5 years, wheras prior to that i was happy just trundling along spending 10 years in a dead end job i was happy in. she has no interest in progressing, and says to me on a regular basis i need to earn more money so she can afford to stay at home and look after our boy... who is now at school for 6 hours a day

Sponsored Links
Back