Automated Driving Technology

Sponsored Links
Yeah I reckon that will be one of the biggest challenges. I think even at present with cars that can read road speed signs, there are issues with misreading etc. I reckon it will come (full automation) however maybe not in my lifetime :(

That part at least is a simple fix, replace the people readable signs with ones designed for machine reading, like an ID tag buried in the road surface. Mine just nags me at the moment when I go too fast, based on it's maps, speed limits on the map and GPS :)

I think the key challenge is the crossover period, when there are both human and automated drivers sharing the roads.
Could be fun to play a game of chicken driving against an automated car :)

Edit: On a serious note, what will be the ethics of the automated car...

If it were to crash and kill the occupant(s), would it swerve if it meant plowing into pedestrians instead?

Edit: On a serious note, what will be the ethics of the automated car...

If it were to crash and kill the occupant(s), would it swerve if it meant plowing into pedestrians instead?

That's a part that AI can NEVER play. It can NEVER make a decision based on emotions.

Sponsored Links
That's a part that AI can NEVER play. It can NEVER make a decision based on emotions.
But it can be programmed by a human being to think for itself...

And who would be held accountable?

For example...

If a drone kills a wedding party in a middle eastern country, launched from a different country, controlled from Brize Norton, but was using US software and technology who is to blame?

Similarly if an automated car goes out of control, who is to blame?

But it can be programmed by a human being to think for itself...

And who would be held accountable?

For example...

If a drone kills a wedding party in a middle eastern country, launched from a different country, controlled from Brize Norton, but was using US software and technology who is to blame?

Similarly if an automated car goes out of control, who is to blame?

Are you a moron? Do you consider yourself to be a moron? Do you even know what a moron is?

Do you think that we are all morons?

If it ever happens it won't be anything like what we think of as 'driving' now. Maybe automated city to city or car park to city centre type stuff might happen, but only on dedicated roadways where the rest of us are excluded. Level 5 automation amongst private cars on public roads is so far off none of us on here have to worry about it.

If it ever happens it won't be anything like what we think of as 'driving' now. Maybe automated city to city or car park to city centre type stuff might happen, but only on dedicated roadways where the rest of us are excluded. Level 5 automation amongst private cars on public roads is so far off none of us on here have to worry about it.

Sort of like the guided bus routes we have in the local city? Don't know how common these are in the rest of the UK, but they are underused around here - 3/4 of buses on the normal road, 1/4 on the guided part of the road.

Im looking forward to it long as it's like Johnny Cab

I strongly believe that there are insurmountable obstacles in the path to create what we 'perceive' as a truly 'self driving vehicle'.

They can throw however many $billions at it & they will never get that final few percentages that makes AI take over the function of safely driving a vehicle on the highway.

I also strongly believe that the introduction of self driving vehicles is imminent & their attitude to the safety aspect will show in the legislation they must pass to offset the current legal implications surrounding this 'safety' element.

I don't think that personal ownership will come into play, I think the days of the 2+ car household are over & personal ownership of our own vehicle/s will become a rarity reserved for only the very wealthy/priviledged. It might be wise to get used to the idea of summoning your personal transport with an app on your phone.

I don't agree that current technical challenges are insurmountable. Things progress. However I do agree that future government policy will look to reduce the amount of personal vehicle ownership, some would say they've started already.

Had a little spin in my other half’s car the other night.

While it has autopilot, it’s not true automation. It just works from cameras, no lidar or anything.

Here’s a little video of it in action. Of course, 20mph limit road, late at night with no traffic or pedestrians is not really the greatest of tests, but it shows what can be done. I would also add a disclaimer that it’s Clare’s choice of radio station, so apologies about the noise.

https://youtube.com/shorts/X6VWUh0XZt0?feature=share

Sponsored Links
Back