Automated Driving Technology

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How quickly do you think this technology will advance?
Overall, are you in favour of it?
What advantages and disadvantages do you foresee?

On balance, I think I'm in favour, partly for selfish reasons. I'll be 50 soon, so I hopefully have 25-30 years of driving left in me. I wonder if the tech and legislation will have advanced enough by then for me to buy a car (or transport pod as they might be called by then :)) that I can get in and say 'take me to 18 The Avenue, Townsville' and then sit back and leave the vehicle to do the rest. Meaning I could still be shuttled around door to door when my days of driving might be behind me.

Wishful thinking perhaps as 25-30 years isn't that far away, but you never know!

Sponsored Links
How quickly do you think this technology will advance?
Overall, are you in favour of it?
What advantages and disadvantages do you foresee?

On balance, I think I'm in favour, partly for selfish reasons. I'll be 50 soon, so I hopefully have 25-30 years of driving left in me. I wonder if the tech and legislation will have advanced enough by then for me to buy a car (or transport pod as they might be called by then :)) that I can get in and say 'take me to 18 The Avenue, Townsville' and then sit back and leave the vehicle to do the rest. Meaning I could still be shuttled around door to door when my days of driving might be behind me.

Wishful thinking perhaps as 25-30 years isn't that far away, but you never know!
I suspect the road and intelligence infrastructure will need some re-designing to accommodate such fully automated personal transport.

Sponsored Links
I suspect the road and intelligence infrastructure will need some re-designing to accommodate such fully automated personal transport.
Yeah I reckon that will be one of the biggest challenges. I think even at present with cars that can read road speed signs, there are issues with misreading etc. I reckon it will come (full automation) however maybe not in my lifetime :(

Our new car has a number of these features already, it’s quite fascinating (when your a passenger) to watch the screen and see the car recognise signs, traffic lights, other cars and even wheelie bins!

The technology is moving rapidly.

I think the key challenge is the crossover period, when there are both human and automated drivers sharing the roads.

Our new car has a number of these features already, it’s quite fascinating (when your a passenger) to watch the screen and see the car recognise signs, traffic lights, other cars and even wheelie bins!

The technology is moving rapidly.

I think the key challenge is the crossover period, when there are both human and automated drivers sharing the roads.
Will the horns on some models be automated?

I strongly believe that there are insurmountable obstacles in the path to create what we 'perceive' as a truly 'self driving vehicle'.

They can throw however many $billions at it & they will never get that final few percentages that makes AI take over the function of safely driving a vehicle on the highway.

I also strongly believe that the introduction of self driving vehicles is imminent & their attitude to the safety aspect will show in the legislation they must pass to offset the current legal implications surrounding this 'safety' element.

I don't think that personal ownership will come into play, I think the days of the 2+ car household are over & personal ownership of our own vehicle/s will become a rarity reserved for only the very wealthy/priviledged. It might be wise to get used to the idea of summoning your personal transport with an app on your phone.

They can throw however many $billions at it & they will never get that final few percentages that makes AI take over the function of safely driving a vehicle on the highway.

After a hundred years, and billions of dollars, we have not managed to stop humans crashing their cars.

When the point is reached that AI is safer than humans....

personally I believe that vehicles operating independently of each other will present a high risk of accidents. May be not as high as when the vehicle is driven a human and that human makes a mistake

If the vehicles are controlled by a central controlling system then I believe the risk of accident will be lower, maybe low enough to be acceptable.

Perhaps there will be no need for indicators nor horns, an AI equipped vehicle will transmit its intention (or annoyance) to the other vehicles via AI telepathy*?

(*Commonly referred to by that archaic name as Bluetooth)

Can't come soon enough.

Will end car ownership overnight and be a massive environmental positive

Sponsored Links
Back