Who is ban-all-sheds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all (including BAS)

I'm not intending to be rude here, but I am genuinely interested in who/what BAS is. He (presumably) seems to be the nation's nanny on electrical regs but I think I saw in a recent post that he's not a qualified electrician?

Don't get me wrong; most times I find myself agreeing with his posts and points, if not necessarily the way he makes his point.

I'm also astonished at his prodigious output; around 35,000 posts in eight years, or 12 per day!
My guess is that BAS is a retired engineer of some sort.

Looking forward to the soap opera, and apologies if this has been asked and answered, but 35,000 posts is a lot to read through :p

Sponsored Links
Don't know his background, he appears to keep that close to his chest, but as you imply he does indeed appear to have an excellent grasp on current regs/guidlines etc.
I believe his name is in relation to his dislike of 'sheds' such as B&Q, Wickes, Homebase etc as he does not have a high regard for these retail outlets.
No offence to BAS if my assumptions are incorrect.

Sponsored Links
I'm not intending to be rude here, but I am genuinely interested in who/what BAS is.
So would I - and I would also be interested in knowing exactly the same about many other people who post in this and other forums. However, I think you can be fairly confident that those of us who, for whatever reasons, keep details of our backgrounds 'close to our chests' are probably always going to attempt to maintain that situation :)

A few weeks ago, I started a thread in an attempt to discover which of the regular posters here were qualified practising (or retired) electricians, since it's often very hard to tell just by looking at posts - there are a good few of us here who probably appear at times to some readers to be electricians, even though we aren't. BAS didn't participate in that thread.

Kind Regards, John.

I`m not a qualified "Sparks" sat various exams to be able to work within my scope and can do a lot more from working with a m8 who is and inspects my work.

My scope is security applications, all aspects. Electronic and physical ( not guarding lol).
So think Fire, CCTV, Access, Intruder. Associated networking, and other bits and bobs that come with it.
Hence I only contribute in certain threads in this part of the forum.

Well you did ask :D

I'm also astonished at his prodigious output; around 35,000 posts in eight years, or 12 per day!
.... and I should at least have thanked you for singling out BAS - with nearly 4,000 posts in 11 months (about 11/day), I'm not far behind him :)

... if it's clues you're after, I'm not an electrician or electrical engineer, and am not retired (probably never will be able to afford to retire :)).

Kiond Regards, John.

My bet is that Ban all Sheds has or had a shop where he gave sensible advice to people looking to buy items for DIY work.

And very likely that shop was made non profitable when DIY sheds opened up and sold items to DIYers without any sensible advice being offered. Possibly some sheds were selling goods when anyone with common sense could see the DIYer would be out of their depth and likely to be about to create a hazardous situation. But the sheds and their staff seem to care only about profit and sale commissions.

I also agree with most of his comments but feel he would be more effective in safeguarding DIYers and their families and property if he was a bit more polite in his way for expressing his valid and apparently genuine concerns.

Well I think it would be nice if DIYNOT were to hire stand at one of the Ideal Home (or similar or electrical exhibitions) and we could all meet up.
It would be fantastic to be able to put faces and names together.
I actually had a dream of this happening once and all of the regulars were there.
No I was not smoking anything funny before you ask, I don't know where the dream came from. Probably too much posting on here.

I have found the people who shout loudest about non time served electricians coming into the trade are normally not time served themselves.

Many got their JIB card when it was first introduced and many electricians mates got their JIB card.

But not being time served does not make one a bad electrician. I am time served but not as an electrician. I started in what is refereed to an allied trade. Slowing moving over.

OK now have 2391, 2382 etc. Plus a degree in electrical and electronic engineering but most of my knowledge is not from going to a school of some type but from doing the job.

No ones perfect and there will be mistakes in posts but BAS does not make many.

But we need to guide people to do the right thing. Tell some one not to do something and they will do it anyway. Tell them why they should not do it and then they may listen.

In some cases people just enjoy winding others up. The shocking bath series shows this. And BAS is caught hook line and sinker every time.

As a result he has lived up to his name and been banned from time to time.

However hart in in right place and I am sure he will mellow in time.

As to if he is time served does it really matter? For most of the posts we should say get an electrician to do the job. But we know they won't so we try and guide them along the right lines. And I think we all have the same problem as to how much we can really say safely?

The cooker tripping out a RCD is a good example. We all know how we do it and also know we can't tell anyone what we do. At least on here. We all break the rules from time to time. I think BAS follows the rule book a little too close. Specially Part P. To tell some one Part P exists great. But we all know most people pay no attention to it anyway so why keep harping on?

Well I think it would be nice if DIYNOT were to hire stand at one of the Ideal Home (or similar or electrical exhibitions) and we could all meet up.
It would be fantastic to be able to put faces and names together.
I actually had a dream of this happening once and all of the regulars were there.
No I was not smoking anything funny before you ask, I don't know where the dream came from. Probably too much posting on here.
Clicked on your name and seems you do have a picture up of you and your van. But as to meeting my bus pass is for Wales only so Ideal Home is out.
Only English places I can visit is Chester and Ellesmere Port two odd places allowed in England. But your profile it says:- Private Profile
You do not have permission to view this profile. I wonder what mine says? I am not intrigued enough to start another name to look.

Try searching the IET Forum/wiring matters & see what you come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back