who makes b & q pro

The small print on the B&Q pro tools says they are not designed for professional use. I bought a Jigsaw which was shocking - didn't cut straight. Took it back and said it wasn't up to 'pro' standards. They told me to sling my hook!
This surprises me. I'm not the greatest fan of B&Q tools, but I have found thier returns policy to be second to none. At our local branch, you more or less, just put the item on the counter, give them the reciept, and get the money back. No questions asked.

Onion_soup, I suggest you change your strategy. Instead of:
"use it once then throw it away." You should:
Use it till it's kn*ckered then return it for a new one.

You can then either continue to "build the cost into your bill" (making more profits) OR stop building it into the bill (making you more competative). The choice is yours.

Sponsored Links
TexMex said:
...... At our local branch, you more or less, just put the item on the counter, give them the reciept, and get the money back. No questions asked..

You are lucky /good branch.

TexMex said:
Onion_soup, I suggest you change your strategy. Instead of:
"use it once then throw it away." You should:
Use it till it's kn*ckered then return it for a new one.

It wasn't me, I was quoting part of a conversation between me a tradesperson and a B & q employee. I have since bought some Worx power tools with 3yr warranty from homebase. Worx was recommended by manager at homebase :

" ... the longer the warranty the more 'heavy duty ' the power tool ... "" his words

one year warranty= light use

2 year warranty = medium use

3 year warranty= heavyduty/pro

Anyone know if above is true ? Or was I sold tools with most profit margin ?

Can't be true - you get 3 years with Ferm/Screwfix,but they are definitely DIY/light use.
Currently trying JCB branded tools - started off with cordless drill,which I was quite impressed with,now got the 9" angle grinder,keep looking at the new sliding radial saw.. :)

You gets what you pay for most of my tools have lasted me years (must get out and do some work now :D )

Sponsored Links
Hi guys.

I believe, (although, not certain), that B&Q, Wickes etc own brands are all manufactured by the same people, (could be Makita, as stated above)but the casing and colours are different. Just Like super market own brand stuff, it' nearly all from the same factory no matter if it's Tesco or Sainsburys.

As for the quality, I use Bosch and Dewalt for cordless tools that I know I can't afford to have go wrong in the middle of a job, and own brands for one offs or rare jobs.

I recently got a B&Q impact drill and the only problem I had was the bits that came with it could've been made of plastic for all the good they were.

I managed to find an employee that could walk upright and make human noises, who told me not to worry about the gears going as the electrics would burn out long before. :rolleyes:

I have B&Q Performance power pro circular saw (CLM 18CSCK ) and the instruction books tells you to order replacement blades from Ryobi and even quotes Ryobi part number, so maybe some own brand tools are made by Ryobi.

I was in B&Q yesterday looking for a cordless circular saw. I must say I was quite impressed by the build quality of the Performance Pro product especially for around £79. Most of the cheaper brands look and feel cheap but not this one. Has anyone purchased and used one if so what do you think?

Invested in my first B&Q pro tool yesterday. An 850w Belt sander at less than £40 :eek: Sanded down a piece of sawn Spanish Cedar (8ft x 2ft), in no time. 99.9% of the dust ended up in the dust bag (had to empty it twice). It feels like a solid piece of kit. In fact, it's bl**dy heavy, but so far so good.

The shame is, I doubt I'll have another occaision to use it this year. I'm half inclined to take it back and claim "it's not exactly what I want". That way, I'll have got my sanding done for nothing. :LOL:

Have had P P Pro 18volt cordless saw for about 2 years now and have been pleased with it so far. Only had fairly heavy DIY use though. It produces a very clean cut because the blade is very thin to cut down on power requirements. My only critisism is that the battery supplied gave up after about a year and refused to hold charge. Replacement fast charge battery is far superior but along with the charger it cost me nearly as much as the saw!

Just a moment of nostalgia...
StanYank31AScrewdriver.jpg

Remember these? It wasn't so long back(ok maybe it was :oops: ) that these were the only option other than screwing by hand... (hold the inuendo!)

Long live the cordless revolution! :)

Those push pull screwdrivers allways remind me of Barry Bucknall and his freshly disassembled projects for the early TV diy progs.

still a good bit of kit, apart from when you use a slotted head, push it in and OUCH, just slipped off the screw head and into my hand!

Thermo said:
still a good bit of kit, apart from when you use a slotted head, push it in and OUCH, just slipped off the screw head and into my hand!

And there's always the numpty that insists on using it as a toy weapon by releasing the retaining collar... :evil:

'Yankee' by the way! ;)

Thermo's Signature said:
Man who go to bed with itchy bum wake up with smelly finger!
Nice...
puke.gif

When my dad was teaching me carpentry, I learned to drive in screws with a yankee that belonged to my grandad. I have one of my own now, and still use it occasionally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back