Who runs Britain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an election to elect a government to run the country - then they follow a completely different agenda.

If you look at our recent poll about Europe you see that 24 want out - yet only 1 wants full integration. (I didn't vote).

So why is it that elected governments can follow their own agenda instead of following the wishes of the country?

It would be quite easy for a company such as Mori to gauge public opinion.
Then we could have a full referendum on major issues like Europe.

So who does run Britain?

Sponsored Links
It can't be - they know nothing about politics. :mrgreen:

elections are a farce at the min big buisines and the wealthy decide policy not the polititions

Sponsored Links
Trouble is, not enough people are willing to vote for a single issue party such as UKIP.

I don't know who runs Britian but watch this episode of Storyville and it will leave you in no doubt who runs the USA.
http://tinyurl.com/c4xoen3
And it isn't the elected politicians.

But the average Tory voter wants out of Europe - so who is running the show that says no?

Since our "democracy" involves the parliametary majority being created by the largest minority of the electorate, then it comes as no surprise that what the majority actually want is never going to be what it actually gets. The real curiousity is that the majority of the largest minority actually concurs with the majority of the residue electorate, but this issue is considered to be a minor one in the grand plan ;)

Perhaps we should have a general election run slightly differently. The parties have to ask the electorate what they want, then publish their agenda. We then vote for the party who's agenda floats our boat. Within one or two years, if they have not lived up to the majority of their main election promises, then the whole process goes back to the electorate. IE. Labour promised us a vote on the last EU Treaty, but we didn't get it. I think the Tories have promised the same, (but are held back by the Limp Dems)
(In fact after Cameron's stance on Europe last week, I'm surprised the Limp Dems ain't sucking up to Labour)
Or perhaps have elections every 3yrs and don't allow MP's all of these holidays they seem to have. Allow them exactly the same amount of holidays as the ordinary working chap in the street is entitled to. Couple of weeks in Summer, week and a half off at Xmas, a week in Spring etc. Make them attend all votes, not just the ones they think are important.

Sponsored Links
Back