Why a "Gold Filter" instead of a TF1 ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently ordered a TF1 at 22 mm and another TF1 at 28 mm.

The 28 mm came as a TF1 as expected.

The 22 mm came as a "Gold Filter" and had allegiances with potterton Gold boilers!

What are they up to ?

Sponsored Links
obviously fernox and potterton have done a deal to sell the product as a pack. The person you have bought them from have obviously removed the tf1 from the pack and sell the boiler seperately to increase profit. Maybe you should stop buying stuff on ebay tony

Its exactly the same thing in a similar pack.

Its not an Ebay but from Elitefix Ltd in Keithley. Quite professional and reasonable prices.

The invoice calls it a TF1 and the 28 mm version was marked TF1 too.

They have set up their www.goldfilter.co.uk and their own 0870 number.

I hate 0870 numbers!

It's probably something like the Magnaclean Micro, which was originally only supposed to be available with Ideal boilers and the 'brown-boxed' Grundfoss pumps, marked 'Not For Resale', which should have gone only to BG.

Sponsored Links
There was I expecting that you would know exactly what it is and why!

Its clearly well set up with their own web site and telephone number.

The only problem I have is that the customer was expecting to find it marked TF1

Tony

I've stopped fitting any of them
The platelike stuff which clogs heat exchangers isn't stopped by a filter or a magnet. It's in solution until it precipitates out.
Unless you're going to use the filter as a thing to be regularly emptied of everything else, in which case it needs a flush, which should clear the boiler of flakes too...

This week's Spot The Difference Competition:

608263tech.jpg
info3.jpg

The platelike stuff which clogs heat exchangers isn't stopped by a filter or a magnet. It's in solution until it precipitates out.

My experience indicates that when there is inhibitor dissolved black stuff forms on cold surfaces of the plate heat exchanger, causing eventual blockage...

I omit the inhibitor with no downside... and I prefer the bronze spirotrap to this plastic thingy...far easier to install, robust in construction and with a quality drain off valve included free...

Charnwood";p="2426036 said:
This week's Spot The Difference Competition:

There is actually a difference!

The Gold Filter has an "O" ring seal shown.

The other one does have one though but its just not shown!

The TF1/Gold has a pretty good size/power magnet. The Spiro whatnot has a pretty weak magnet inside and a better one outside but still not anything like the TF1.

There is actually a difference!
The Gold Filter has an "O" ring seal shown.

The other one does have one though but its just not shown!
Well spotted!
Your prize is a week helping out behind the counter at your local Dumb Centre.

I am lucky to have been on threee customer service courses!

It would be quite shocking seeing how customers would react to a polite, friendly and helpful attitude at a PC branch.

At one branch the staff all went to the back when they finished serving a customer, totally ignored me, and were playing football in the warehouse at the back!

Sorry, I must decline the prize. Give it to someone who is more deserving!

They are exactly the same. Gold products are licensed by potterton for independent merchants.

The TF1/Gold has a pretty good size/power magnet. The Spiro whatnot has a pretty weak magnet inside and a better one outside but still not anything like the TF1.
The Spirotech filter works in a different way, and does not need a magnet. They only added one to the previous design to reassure people who don't understand how it works.

More that that they then fited a BIGGER external magnet because people still were not trusting them!

The TF1 also uses the hydrocyclonic principle! ( As well as a very good magnet ).

Tony

They are exactly the same. Gold products are licensed by potterton for independent merchants.

Well OK, but why is that necessary when any dealer can buy the original Fernox product?

The one that supplied my order sent a Gold 22 mm and a Fernox 28 mm !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back