Why are so many pubs closing?

• Thread starter Deleted member 294929
  • Start date
The smoking ban in 2007 was said to be effecting pub numbers but the decline had already started.
The decline in pubs started way before that imo.
Id say around the start of the 1980s when pubs starting selling food like chicken in the basket to boost revenue. Skittles teams and darts started to be effected and my local skittles ally has been converted to a kitchen and dining area.
Sports TV in pubs boosted numbers for a while but we get that at home now.
Drink driving became another reason not to use pubs back in the 70s and by the 80s people got the message and habits changed.

Sponsored Links
The reason so many pubs are shutting:

Increase in costs:
- huge rise in heating cost
- rise in cost of supplies
-big rise in wages

Change in demand:
Younger people drink less, they like going to the gym then snorting coke

Competition:
Cheap booze in supermarkets

Change in culture:
over the last decade we’ve seen a lot of food programmes, celeb chefs and stuff like bake off, There’s a rise in people entertaining at home.

Cafe culture: during the day lots of people now meet up for a coffee and a panini rather than a pint and a pie.

I personally think some village pubs that are really struggling would do well if they embraced the cafe culture and during the day became a coffee bar, so many people work from home now there’s many who would like to get out for a hour or so.

Most of the "immigrants" in my local Irish pub are Poles and Albanians- they definitely like drinking. Oh, and needless to say, many of the other immigrants are Irish.

We have a large Irish colonists in our town but that amalgamation with the Welsh Scottish and English blends . We also have a large amount of eastern Europeans that like a drink. But there are cultural differences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Some years back I joined a couple of local lads that had planned to visit every pub in Rossendale throughout the year for a pint, between when they started and finished about 5 had closed down.

I personally prefer to stay away from pubs, I can buy alcohol far cheaper and enjoy it in the comfort of my own lounge, without people bumping into me or having to visit **** reeking toilets and I can usually always find toilet paper in the loo. :)

Aye, I can sink several pints of relatively decent Guinness at home for the price of one or two in a pub. Same with spirits and the rest, pub prices are a joke. That said @mattylad how often do you need to take a dump in a pub toilet? Don't think I've ever taken a dump in a pub bog.

Just got back from a weekend in London, shocked at the prices some pubs were charging, £15 for two pints in a few pubs, the cheapest we found was a Sam Smiths pub The Cittie of Yorke, £3.90 for a lovely pint of dark mild.

Just got back from a weekend in London, shocked at the prices some pubs were charging, £15 for two pints in a few pubs, the cheapest we found was a Sam Smiths pub The Cittie of Yorke, £3.90 for a lovely pint of dark mild.

Is Sam Smith a relation of John Smiths?

I m spending too much money in pubs. Far too expensive. I do seem to find an excuse to often.

I have beer at home but I'm more of a social drinker, than I need to drink.

I m spending too much money in pubs. Far too expensive. I do seem to find an excuse to often.

I have beer at home but I'm more of a social drinker, than I need to drink.

Likewise. I usually have a pint with a meal out, but at home, it's my homemade wine.

Sponsored Links
Back