Why cant people drive

Sponsored Links
Why cant people drive

in the same way i can't play football, some other people can't drive. the difference is i know i can't play football to a reasonable standard so don't try to play and prefer to watch it instead. if only the hard of driving would do the same.

whats an artic with trailer doing driving at 70mph when they are limited to 60?

You said it was a 3.5 ton tipper, no?

Yes, the young lad was driving the 3½ ton tipper on behalf of our firm.
He claimed he was forced off the road by an artic lorry in the middle lane coming too close to him causing him to swerve in to the central barrier. And yet he says he was doing 70mph which means the artic must have been doing 70 or 70+mph.

Sponsored Links
Must admit, I passed my driving test in 1976. The roads were far quieter than they are now. I too hate these mugs that drive at 50 -60mph in the middle lane of the motorway when there's nothing on the inside lane for at least half a mile, and the people driving in the outside lane that continually dab their brakes for no reason (when doing 70mph (+)).
I was taught to be aware of what's around you at all times, especially on the motorway. Yet I see examples of cars pulling into the second/third lane without being aware of what's behind them in the lane they are pulling into.
On my last job, I was driving 7.5tonne lorries (cruise control, air con, the lot) My how they have come on! Car drivers just don't seem to realise their a bit bigger than their cars, cut in front, slam brakes on etc . Specially when they realise their just approaching the junction they want.
Driving a large vehicle round roundabouts too, car drivers don't seem to realise how much room you actually need.
Had to drive through London a few times, you need to look in the side mirrors constantly to make sure there's no one on the inside of you etc.
And don't get me started on these Asian women wearing burkhas with slits to see through. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I think the older trend of driving in the middle land of the motorway, not being taught, but the new trend on touching the brakes, are these small cars, autos, driven by disabled or elderly drivers, keeping the free revving engine, fitted with an autobox in check..as they tend to overrun, and cause the car to speed up.

I drove a Nissan Note on a motorway recently, and what a horrible car to drive, the steering was overly sensitive, the autobox was searching always, and wouldn't settle at a steady 70, although the steering was sensitive, it was also very heavy...

As a professional driver, not a car I'd choose, and especially one that I would want an elderly driver to drive..

having done well in excess of 500k miles over the last decade or so, i think the astonishing lack of awareness by drivers in their own little bubble is incredible.
-middle or outside lane hoggers
-last minute direction changes
-no signalling
-driving at 3/4 of the speed limit without any good reason (mainly due to geriatrics)
-tailgaters
-amber gamblers
-impatient undertakers from motorway middle lane

All of the above sins are usually commited by people who have absolutely no idea what they are doing to the rest of the road users.

I personally think a couple of hours motorway training, at least one hour in the dark and at least one hour in heavy rain should be made compulsory for any learner driver. (A snow lesson would be good, but not entirely practical)

However, to the OP, the break dabbers you refer to are telling you something. Your driving position, no matter what you think of your safe breaking zone, is causing them to be uncomfortable. This situation, no matter you view it will not improve their standard of driving!
I imagine that you are also one of those people, when following a long line of cars travelling at (lets say :) )70mph in the outside lane decide to pressurise the last car in the line, since you are in a rush and think they should move out of your way. It amazes me that those people do not have the presence of mind to understand that it is the car at the front of the convoy (that could be a mile up front) that is causing the problem, not the car at the back. If there were 50 vehicles in that convoy, all patiently thinking "the guy at the front wants shooting!! arrgh!" would you get up the exhaust of all 50 just in order to get you home 3 minutes early?

I also imagine that when the car infront of you does not yield to your pressure tactics, you patience runs out and then you become an undertaker - sliding into the middle lane, screaming past as many cars in the outside lane as possible (lets say 10) until you come to the back of the next car in the middle lane, then swerve back into the outside lane, causing all 10 of the cars you have just undertaken to hit their brakes.

Maybe back off from them a bit, try indicating right whilst behind them to at least let them know that you wish to get by them.

Most people will say that speed kills. I personally think thats rubbish ( why are autobahns not lined with cemetaries?) impatience and lack of consideration is the killer!

Most people will say that speed kills. I personally think thats rubbish ( why are autobahns not lined with cemetaries?) impatience and lack of consideration is the killer!

Its the government that has adopted this utterly simplistic approach to road safety, and hung it on on one glib catchphrase. And as you state, its ******. In fact, speed is only a contributing factor in 6% of all accidents, according to there own statistics.

If speed killed, every Formula F1 Grand Prix would produce 20 deaths,. Its doesn't, because speed in that context is entirely appropriate. What kills is lack of driver training and lack of judgment, which is what road safety should be aimed at. By using road safety as a blanket cover for what is in fact a massive revenue collection exercise based on speed cameras, the government, the police, and the magistrates association does a grave injustice to the motorist, and does nothing to make the roads safer

Sponsored Links
Back