Why do you accept cheap boilers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As someone is bound to point out, I work for a large boiler manufacturer now, Our boilers range from £400 to £1200.

This not because the dearer ones have prettier casings, it is because of the cost of the internal components. Hence you get what you pay for. Another thing to bear in mind, is the way boiler spares are priced. I've noticed the crappier the boiler the dearer the parts seem to be.

Basically sell a unreliable boiler cheap and the charge a fortune for the bits. Anyone silly enough to want to keep one of these beasts going is either tied to a manfacturers warranty or paying out hand over fist to an independant RGI.

Another point is the cost of a new boiler install includes the labour of a RGI. Why pay for someone to fit a boiler every five years, when a more expensive one may last 10 to 15 years. Do the sums.

Why have I posted this? Simply because, if you the public didn't buy the rubbish, manu's would have to up their game and everyone would win ;)

Sponsored Links
which boiler manu is that than ?? ( interested )

cheap boilers ect u do not nessarily get what u pay for & in many cases u do not when it comes to boilers , work on the principle that all boilers are carp ? & than it is just a question of picking one that is less carp than any others ! than when u find a boiler that is any good u might end up with a manu who is carp !

Personally I think there should be a Turkey of the year award for boiler manu's , the MD from the winner gets a free fortnight in Helmand or a new moskavitch car maybe even both ??

Speaking as an RGI I would agree that everyone should fit the best they can afford, but in reality not all customers can afford the dearer end of the market, and I'm not talking about the guys lookinig for cheap, cheap, cheap just to save a couple of hundred quid!

That is why we act as consultants on heating and boilers etc. If a customer is on a tight budget then we can advise accordingly. :)

Let's look at it another way;

£400 boiler 1 year warranty £200/year insurance policy; after 5 years totall expenditure = £1200

£1000 boiler 5 year warranty; after 5 years expenditure = £1000.

That is without the guaranteed extra breakdowns and time taken off for the repairman. Both will probably let you down at some point, but who do you think will be upset most.

For the installer, you have a happy customer and hopefully recommendations.

For the customer, a better chance of hot water when they open the tap.

For me the service engineer, less b****ckings and ever increasing nose length when answering the question " Is this boiler any good?" ;)

Sponsored Links
Assuming of course that any free 5 year warranty is honoured ?? there are an increasing number of instances / reports where these 5 year warrantys are not being honoured

Alot of these 5 year plus warrantys will come back to haunt ?? the installer ( maybe ? ) one particular manu is offering 7 years ? another was or still is offering 10 years , all very good reasons why not to install them IMO

I don't work for Ideal, but I cannot get into a guessing game as there are bound to spies on here. Not supposed to tell the truth if you have sold your soul to the company. ;)

All good on paper and I agree but.....

Customer cannot afford or source initial boiler outlay for mid to high-range boiler. So what do they do? No boiler and freeze; or cheap boiler; or mid-range boiler fitted by man on horseback with 1 day guarantee!

If your working for a manufacturer and you think you budget boilers are s**t, then you arn't going to give reasurrance to your customers. Good backup service will.

to be honest this is where baxi group come into their own they are fairly reliable combis and parts are a good price
i do admit i prefare the main out the lot though

trouble is ounce some one announces they work for a boiler manu ect they tend to get blamed for every thing that go's wrong with said appliance , which is not right , same as those working for BG ! they tend to get a rough ride at times !

never had much time for boiler manus any of em , but that statement does not , & should not include those who work for them at the coal face !!

Why on the 5 year g`tee price total have you left off the cost of the mandatory yearly service this could well be around 100 quid a year.Also most people if they register with a manufacturer will get a 2 year warranty

More expensive boilers can also mean extra bits on them and PCB that have additional functions that play up far more often than a cheaper boiler.

5 year warranty does not mean trouble free and anyone that thinks that is clearly mistaken.
the the price can reflect the built in warranty and not additionl features build quality etc
Baxi duotech and platinum exactly the same boiler but one is several hundred pounds dearer to cover the additional 3 years from 2 to 5

Cash is king.

Pity is, that sometimes those who can afford it don't want to part with the readies :rolleyes:

Agree. Often surprised that some customers drive Mercedes cars, but want Austin Maxi boilers.

Don't suppose your boiler impresses your mates down the local though. :rolleyes:

The yearly service does NOT have to be carried out by the manufacturer !

They just make the customer feel that it has to be them. Agin more business for the installer. It is the same with car dealerships, your car can be serviced anywhere ;)

But it is still a cost to the customer in the total 5 year period no matter who does it .And will void the warranty if not done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back