Why does my DIY extension lead trip the circuit breaker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I made a 1 gang extension lead to plug a single lamp into but it keeps tripping the circuit breaker, why? I have a 13 amp plug, 5 metres of 3 core cable and a 1 gang socket. Into that I plug (3amp plug) a small lamp. It's not the lamp as I have tried a second lamp and that does the same. Both lamps work fine plugged in elsewhere. I have double checked all the wiring and it seems fine. Where am I going wrong?

Sponsored Links
Exactly what trips? MCB or RCD or RCBO? (a photo of the tripped device would help if you don't know what it is). Does it trip without the lamp (a) plugged in or (b) turned on

Thanks for your quick response! It's the RCD that trips and It happens as soon as the lamp is turned on. nothing else affects the RCD.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Sunray. All of the components of my extension lead are brand spanking new. I may not be a qualified electrician and I certainly wouldn't attempt anything too taxing but I do know how to wire a plug. I'm pretty handy at DIY too. Last week I repaired a doorstep with cement that I mixed myself, I really enjoyed it. Before that I fault found and repaired my jeeps headlights by following the wiring diagram in the manual and I repaired the flashing over my shop windows to stop them leaking. I will keep investigating and I'm sure I'll work out what the 'current' problem is, I just thought it might be something obvious that I'd overlooked.

Thanks Sunray. All of the components of my extension lead are brand spanking new. I may not be a qualified electrician and I certainly wouldn't attempt anything too taxing but I do know how to wire a plug.
I don't think that he intended to imply that you hadn't used new components. From what you've told us, by far the most likely explanation for what you're experiencing would be that (as in the first picture in the post Sunray directed you to) a couple of the conductors/wires are connected to the wrong terminals, in either the plug or the socket - have another look and check, particularly making sure that the green/yellow wire is connected to the earth terminal at both plug and socket.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John. No I was only pointing towards the incorrectly terminated plug where all 3 wires were in the wrong place but the lead had been successfully working for years until the tenant encountered an RCD for the first time.

Thanks John, sorry Sunray for being a bit touchy. I will check all the wiring again. One thing that puzzles me is why the Live and Neutral wires are reversed in the trailing socket. Blue on the right and brown on the left. I did triple check this but the instructions were very clear and a comment from another purchaser confirmed that this was correct.

Thanks John, sorry Sunray for being a bit touchy. I will check all the wiring again. One thing that puzzles me is why the Live and Neutral wires are reversed in the trailing socket. Blue on the right and brown on the left. I did triple check this but the instructions were very clear and a comment from another purchaser confirmed that this was correct.

Pictures would really help, but it sounds like you've simply connected live(line) to neutral.

Thanks EFLImpudence, so it is. Now I'm looking at it the right way round I can see exactly where I've gone wrong with my wiring. It's obvious really and I'm an idiot! Problem solved. Thanks all.

If you mean live and neutral reversed, then that would not (normally) cause the RCD to trip.

Neutral and earth reversed would.

Ah a lot depend on the construction of the socket. That shown in my pic is upside down as EFL says, if you turned it up the other way you'll see the black neutral is on the left. However if the brass components were mounted on the front part of the socket [like a domestic flush mounted face plate socket then the neutral will be on the right] If in doubt plug a plug into the socket and see how the pins line up.

As others have said lets have some pics and we may see something you have missed, even experts on here sometimes get it wrong and a second opinion is welcomed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back