Why does the forum forget what you've read?

I was logged in and had to shut the machine down ( Google Chrome ) . When the machine was restarted about 30 minutes later there were new posts but they were not shown as new.

Sponsored Links
This seems to be happening more often. Any chance of getting some more investigation, @diynot? It's flippin' annoying :eek:

One of the features that works really well on diynot is the yellow bells to show which topics have new posts for you.

But every so often, diynot seems to throw a fit and assume that I have read everything and all the topics are shown white.

Why is this? And is it something that afflicts all users at the same time or only specific users?

We have experienced this a couple of time, I believe it happens when the session is created, something goes wrong and it creates another session, it then believes your last visit was seconds (or less) ago and so marks everything read. As this happens so infrequently, we have yet to pin it down, sadly :cry: ..yet.

An update - when I type a URL into the browser that refers to a specific sub-forum, such as;

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=8

It is much. much more likely to forget all of the read topics. I'd say that, for me (on Chrome), this is reproducible perhaps 75% of the time.

So if there was any appetite for trying to track down and squish this bug, I can recommend that approach for the diagnostic phase.

I'm on chrome and hardly ever experience what you do.

Sponsored Links
One of the features that works really well on diynot is the yellow bells to show which topics have new posts for you.

But every so often, diynot seems to throw a fit and assume that I have read everything and all the topics are shown white.

Why is this? And is it something that afflicts all users at the same time or only specific users?

We have experienced this a couple of time, I believe it happens when the session is created, something goes wrong and it creates another session, it then believes your last visit was seconds (or less) ago and so marks everything read. As this happens so infrequently, we have yet to pin it down, sadly :cry: ..yet.

An update - when I type a URL into the browser that refers to a specific sub-forum, such as;

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=8

It is much. much more likely to forget all of the read topics. I'd say that, for me (on Chrome), this is reproducible perhaps 75% of the time.

So if there was any appetite for trying to track down and squish this bug, I can recommend that approach for the diagnostic phase.

I missed a bit of important info. It's when I open a new browser and start to type "diyno...." and chrome autofills the address.
If I leave it at "diynot.com/forums/" then most of the time (but not always) all is good.
But if I start to type "diyno..." and chrome offers up "www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=8" then I know that's the electric forum, which I'm interested in, so I arrow down, select that and most of the time hit the "you are nothing to me - I strike you from my memory" bug.

denso; would you mind copying and pasting this url "www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=8" then close chrome, re-open, and paste the URL in? Do it a few times? Do you get the forgetfullness glitch then?

In web-programmer terms, this is to do with the entry URL on a new session (if anyone's still paying attention :))

Back