Why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just seen a VW Polo with a strange numberplate.

It had a standard British format for the letter and number combination - **52 ***

But the lettering was raised up, the plate looked metallic, like the ones on the continent or America. The font was almost right despite this, and the left of the plate had a standard EU blue sign with a D on it to show Germany. :eek: The driver was 100% British (Heard him talking to staff in the shop)

Is this illegal? To show an incorrect country on your car? And why would you do it? :confused:

Sponsored Links
WHY wouldn't a german be able to talk perfect english and vice versa?

Sponsored Links
But you said the car had german plates how is it 100% british?

What happens when you buy a car on the continent and bring it back? Do you still need to get plates changed etc?

Is it possible that he already had the registration number, and the German supplier knocked together his numberplate in the usual German style (did it have those two emblems near the middle?) but with the British number? :idea:

I was sat next to a car with an awesome number the other day: BD 08 Y** (two asterisks to replace the last two digits).

Even spaced legally it looked like it said "booby". :LOL:

Is this illegal? To show an incorrect country on your car? And why would you do it? :confused:
Is it not possible that he lives and keeps the car in Germany, and was just visiting?

Or that he has recently moved back to the UK and is waiting for the registration process to be completed?

VW and other german car owners often put german "style" plates on their british cars. they are 100% illegal but most get away with it as they are in most cases legible. they are starting to get a hard time from the filth now as the ANPR cameras wont recognise them and they won't get done with various offences.

i had them on my old 335i but it came with them so i just left them on until i was nabbed, never did get stopped so i sold the car with them on.

Is it not possible that he lives and keeps the car in Germany, and was just visiting?

No. The car is british on a british plate. If he was living in Germany he would have a GB on it, not a D. If it was german registered with a german plate on it and came over here it would have a D on it. The letter on the plate or on one of the stickers is to tell the country you are visiting where you, and more importantly where your car is from.

Or that he has recently moved back to the UK and is waiting for the registration process to be completed?

As I said its already UK registered hence the UK plate.

VW and other german car owners often put german "style" plates on their british cars.

Yup, I used to own a classic Beetle, saw lots of this sort of thing on campervans and bugs. Not sure I'd do it on a Polo though :confused:

VW and other german car owners often put german "style" plates on their british cars.

Yup, I used to own a classic Beetle, saw lots of this sort of thing on campervans and bugs. Not sure I'd do it on a Polo though :confused:

it does look better on any car IMO. trouble is some go too far and put the date markers on too. the plod really dont like that.

ive even seen brit Seats with spanish plates.

here's my 335i with its "german" plates, fairly inoffensive and quite legible. pressed steel the same as the ones steve is on about.

trackcar023.jpg

One thing not mentioned in the discussion about the country of origin, and usually a bit of a giveaway - Was it left hand drive?

Sponsored Links
Back