wierd lighting circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
with only twin and earth to ceiling rose I concluded that this rose was either the last in the loop circuit or that a junction box was being used.
Looking at the wall switch (1 gang 1 way) I saw 3 incoming twin and earth cables. the neutrals were commoned by a connector and i "live" red cable was connected to com terminal and the other 2 reds to the L1 terminal.
I have never seen this method before but it looks like a radial circuit.
As I was expecting switch live/switch return via a standard twin and earth I am am confused and equally do not know how to sus out what does what in this case.Can anybody assist before my sister kills me.
regards
DCH

Sponsored Links
sounds like you have the main lighting circuit cable going to the switches and then a branch from each switch to the lights.

so one cable is incoming permanent live and neutral
another cable is permanent live and neutral to the next switch
and the final cable is neutral and switched live to the light.

So the switch is being used as the junction box - sort of.
Does this mean that the live loop ic connected through L1 and the light feed is to the com terminal.? reversing the use of a sgsp switch as commonly expected.
regards
Dave

dch1950 said:
So the switch is being used as the junction box - sort of.
yep

dch1950 said:
Does this mean that the live loop ic connected through L1 and the light feed is to the com terminal.?
yep

dch1950 said:
reversing the use of a sgsp switch as commonly expected.
does anyone actually think about which way round they wire a switch? i sure as hell don't

Sponsored Links
sorry guys,
bit of a senior moment there, Of corse you can loop the live through either the fixed pole or the the contactor.it's more a matter of convention.But yes I do think about which way round the switch is wired.
regards
Dave

ban-all-sheds said:
I always put the rocker bit at the front.

and let me guess, you put the switch on the wall, and lights on the ceiling, you're far too conventional...

securespark said:
ban-all-sheds said:
I always put the rocker bit at the front.

I quite like the idea of mounting the rocker horizontally...
why? :eek:

i mounted a socket upside down once, but it was wired in 6mm² so it wouldn't twist round the correct way. nobody can see it anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back