Wierd wiring problem

Sponsored Links
I would recommend you get a spark in to check all your electrics out.
One thing to point out is that just because a cable is old it will not automatically need a rewire. It may be that the insulation is okay and you will need to remove the metal fittings and replace them with plastic.
You will need a spark on-site to inspect and Test, not just advise via the forum after looking at a downloaded photo.

Having said that, from the couple of faults you have quoted I would personally just bite the bullet and get it done.

tonyenkiducx said:
Now I ask again, is this really really necessary, or is there a quick temporary fix I can do?

You could turn off the main switch of your consumer unit. Thats the only way I can think of making the wiring safe without replacing it. (I'm deadly serious)

You asked how much it would cost to get a spark out to check your wiring.
You have had a belt off your light (and the switch feeds to an SO)
You have also found a cable which was live when you thought it was dead.

Given this the question is how much could it cost you or one ofyour family if you don't get a spark out. Electricity kills. so please get it sorted.

Sponsored Links
It would seem that my problem was just static build-up.. I've dumped the old nasty nylon ones, and had new cotton carpets fitted and the problems have stopped completely. No walls ripped out, or cabling replaced.

tonyenkiducx should have said:
It would seem that I'm not going to bother replacing my unsafe electrical installation, with its perished rubber insulation, brittle stranded wires and unpredictable colouring standards.

I'll leave it until someone gets electrocuted, and with a bit of luck the first person to be electrocuted won't be me.

why dont people check out the wiring before they decorate? surely the safety of the electrical installation should be checked before any huuuge building or decorating projects are undertaken?

On a quiet night, i bet he can hear the rubber falling down the wall chases, and a faint 50Hz hum as the copper cores get closer and closer . . . :LOL: . . . rather him than me!

Seriously, is there any need for that kind of childish sniping? As I have mentioned many times before, I cannot get the wiring replaced. I dont know how to impress this into your tiny minds any more.

I
Cannot
Get
The
Wiring
Replaced

Comprende'? It aint hard. It cant come out. I cannot remove it. There is no chance of the cables being replaced. No amount of condensending or patronising remarks is going to change that fact.

OK. I understand "I Cannot" means the same as "it is inconvenient to".

I cannot fly

I cannot take the bins out.

Tony - you have told us that the electrics have been worked on by a bodger.

You have told us that you've got buried cables but you don't know where.

You have told us that you have found defunct cables that are still live.

You have told us that you have old rubber insulated wiring.

Everybody is telling you that you need to replace it all.

Now I'm sorry that you made the mistake of not thinking about this until after you'd repaired and decorated all the walls, but that was your mistake, and the making of it did not resolve the problem of the electrics.

I don't know how to impress this into your tiny mind any more.

You
Must
Get
The
Wiring
Replaced

Comprende? It ain't hard. It has to come out. You have to remove it. The cables must be replaced. No amount of condescending or patronising remarks is going to change that fact.

I have to say, Tony, that if you look through various posts you'll see these guys very very rarely recommend expensive fixes. If there's a way to achieve a safe end result

1. They know how,
2. That's what they'll advise.

One of my earliest memories is watching my Mum jerk and be thrown onto the kitchen floor by a cooker socket in our new council house that had degraded rubber insulation due to slight over heat and a poor earth. I remember the fear as I stood watching my semi-concious mother lie there groaning whilst my older sister ran for help.

I have been told by a couple of fireman friends that the body of a child who is untouched but has died from inhaling toxic smoke is almost worse to behold than one that has suffered burns.

Electricity does all of this!

This stuff kills, Tony, we were lucky, you might not be. I know it looks and smells safer than, say, Gas, but it isn't. If your doctor told you that without a certain treatment there was a good chance you, or a loved one would die, but it wasn't available on the NHS - I have no doubt you'd find a way to raise the £3K or so you'd need. You're in that position now. For everyones sake, Tony, take the advice, bite the bullet and do whatever you have to to ensure you and your family wake up safe and sound tomorrow morning. It's better to be a couple of thousand poorer than have your photo in the local paper, just another statistic.

Ok, some more details to defuse this situation then. I have only found 2 cables that are using old rubber, and there both connected to the lights(One of them is a plug socket I disconnected *ahem*). I suppose there could be other cables around that I cant see, but having replaced every light socket and plug socket in the house, I haven't seen any more rubber.

I appreciate that the cables are not safe, but there are many factors involved in my decision to not replace them(Money not being one of them). I suppose its hard for you to understand when your not in my position, and I won't bore you with the details of my life, but it's just not happening.

I apologise for my rather terse response earlier, I just get frustrated when people assume I'm being lazy or tight-fisted. I have worked pretty much every single weekend and most nights for the past 5 months to get this house the way I want it, as well as my normally stressfull and hectic job. So another month sorting out cables and walls would'nt bother me.

Tony, there's absolutely no need to be rude. We are trying to help you.

Why don't you pay a spark to carry out a PIR, then you will know exactly the condition of your wiring, and what to do to bring it up to current standard?

securespark said:
Tony, there's absolutely no need to be rude. We are trying to help you.

Why don't you pay a spark to carry out a PIR, then you will know exactly the condition of your wiring, and what to do to bring it up to current standard?
because he's done the decorating now. dont you listen, securespark? :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back