Window installers make a mistake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had some PVC windows installed in a house we've moved into. We got a number of quotes via of the double gazing advice companies and so got a good price. Via them we specified precisely what we required.

For our windows at the back of the house we asked for white PVC on the inside and out (at the front it is white and wood effect). However, they appear to have given us white and wood effect at the back as well (three windows and a door). I was out when the work was being done!

Whilst it isn't what we wanted, it doesn't look to bad and isn't overly important as it is to the rear of the house. I understand that we could ask for the problem to be put right, and I expect that that would be costly for the company. However, if we were to accept the windows, do you think it would be reasonable to ask for some compensation? If so how much? This might also be the cheapest option for the company as I am sure it was a genuine mistake.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't go down the compensation route as it might be better to turn it to your advantage.
Tell them that they've got it wrong and ask them to replace them. Once that is agreed tell them you're willing to negotiate. It will cost them to replace the windows so they should be willing to pay you a slightly smaller amount to not have to do it.

Actually, that's kind of what I meant. Play off the cost of replacing with a smaller amount of compensation. We have the balance to pay and it would be helpful (for our kitchen project) to keep some of that cash. How much (% cost per window wise) would be reasonable to push for.

Sponsored Links
Do exactly as has been suggested, tell them its not what you wanted and you want the correct windows put in that you signed for, give it a couple of days and say 'look guys, i appreciate its going to cost you a lot of money, how about i accept the windows for a discount'

This exact thing happened to my sister, same light oak on white situation,they folded and knocked a fair bit off too

noseall,

Yes I have a sheet and they certainly should have. It was organised through these guys, http://www.windowadvicecentre.co.uk/double-glazing.htm, and it was their job to pass on the correct information, so I'll go through them first to find out who messed up. If it is the company then, as Stephen and Crank suggest I will go for the new windows angle first.

As I said, we can live with it, but the downside to keeping them is that it won't go with the white conservatory, but the money would be more useful. Of course I don't want to go over the top.

If you've got a contract that specifies what you wanted then i cant see a problem, it will be intresting to see who made the mistake, my guees it was the actual window company not reading the specs properly. It does happen unfortunately :cry:

Hold on, you think I'm taking the ****? :confused:

The windows were fitted this week. I had sent my kids and wife to her parents whilst the work was done, and I was working whilst the install took place. The front windows were supposed to be white/brown, the back windows were supposed to be white/white. They installed the front windows day one and two, and the back day two and three. On day two when I cam e back from work late, it was dark (snowing outside) so I didn't check outside...I didn't think to check. When I got home from work day three I looked outside and noticed the mistake, so I thought I'd post on here.

I'm now down at the in-laws to pick up my wife and kids and will be back tonight. So tomorrow I'll happily take some photos to prove it's not a **** take!

The windows advice centre chap will be visiting tomorrow so we will point out the issue to him then.

By the way, I'm quite well know on other forums (try googling magnatom and you'll see who I am) so I'm not in the habit of taking the ****. :confused:

noseall,

Yes I have a sheet and they certainly should have. It was organised through these guys, http://www.windowadvicecentre.co.uk/double-glazing.htm, and it was their job to pass on the correct information, so I'll go through them first to find out who messed up. If it is the company then, as Stephen and Crank suggest I will go for the new windows angle first.

As I said, we can live with it, but the downside to keeping them is that it won't go with the white conservatory, but the money would be more useful. Of course I don't want to go over the top.

This kind of thing really pi**es me off frankly, if you want the right windows then get them changed by whoever cocked up, but now just want to make some cash out of the situation. F**k sake! :evil: :rolleyes:

This kind of thing really pi**es me off frankly, if you want the right windows then get them changed by whoever cocked up, but now just want to make some cash out of the situation. F**k sake! :evil: :rolleyes:

Eh, no. The company made a mistake. We don't have what we asked for. However, we are willing to live with what we have, which will probably work out cheaper for teh company anyway. I'm not expecting 50% off or anything like that, just a reasonable compensation for their mistake.

I should also point out, as I mentioned above that I have a family (3 kids, one only 3 weeks old). We don't have any family local who could help, so if they have to come in to replace the windows, we have to find somwhere to decant the kids to. So compensation is better for us, and probably cheaper for the window company.

So please, explain why this ****ed you off? :confused:

This has turned out to be a really friendly place... :confused:

Jeez it ain't brain surgery, your turning a 'probably' honest mistake into a money making scheme.

I cant see why you guys think it a money making scheme, if they've made a mistake on the order then fine mistakes happen, but the fact is it isnt what the homeowner wanted, why should he be stuck with windows that aren't right.

The company should remake the windows in the right colour and stand the cost themselves END OF STORY, but its lucky for them that the owner is willing to save them the full cost of the remakes for a small fee for the fact he has to look at windows he didnt really want, this is saving the company money.

OR are you suggesting he just accepts the wrong windows and pretend they've done a 100% job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back