Window installers make a mistake

Sponsored Links
Maybe :rolleyes:

Maybe the window company will blink first and say look yes we made a mistake but as a gesture of goodwill if we knock xyz off would you be happy to keep them.

My sister wanted oak on white and they came oak/oak, 16 windows and some right big ones too, 2 were 5m x 1.2m 5 seg bays, they sacked the surveyor lol and offered her a big discount if she accepted the windows, she felt sorry for the company as it had only just started trading so she accepted their offer.

They were happy and so was she, infact to show there were no hard feelings she placed 2 further orders with them when she had 2 extensions built over 2 years, Knowing the mark up on the windows they certainly got their money back......just the long way round really.

The OP should stand his ground

Ok, this is why i think you are taking the rise:

You are sat at home pondering some new windows so you invite numerous local and a maybe a couple of national (for the crack) companies to quote.

You discuss in detail along with your spec sheet what you want and wait for the quotes.

The quotes come in and you narrow it down to a single, probably local company.

You invite them back for a few final adjustments and give the go ahead.

Then....

YOU HAND THE WHOLE SHOW OVER TO A THIRD PARTY!!!!!!

windowadvicecentre. WTF! :rolleyes:

Ok, this is why i think you are taking the rise:

You are sat at home pondering some new windows so you invite numerous local and a maybe a couple of national (for the crack) companies to quote.

You discuss in detail along with your spec sheet what you want and wait for the quotes.

The quotes come in and you narrow it down to a single, probably local company.

You invite them back for a few final adjustments and give the go ahead.

Then....

YOU HAND THE WHOLE SHOW OVER TO A THIRD PARTY!!!!!!

windowadvicecentre. WTF! :rolleyes:

...and you know this how? :confused:

Exactly how it happened is this....

Moved to new house, knowing it needed new windows. Having investigated the purchase of double glazing I decided to go with a windows advice service who employ architects to come assess your requirements and then send out the spec to up to 10 local companies. I was very impressed with the service. 2 days later and 7 quotes are supplied. The best quote is accepted and the company come out check the measurements and go away and make the windows. The come back 6 weeks later and install the windows.

On Monday the an architect will come back and check the install (part of the service). One they are happy, and ONLY then, I pay the balance, or as might happen now, I either get the windows replaced (costs the company a fair wack) or I accept a reduced price. Keeps me happy, saves the company money.

I'm sorry if my procedure for getting windows installed doesn't meet with your approval.

Any more questions?
:confused:

Sponsored Links
Personally i think its a damn good way of buying windows, might even give to double glazing trade a good name for once. :rolleyes:

Personally i think its a damn good way of buying windows, might even give to double glazing trade a good name for once. :rolleyes:

Aye, it has worked well for us so far. Assuming the rest of the process goes well, I will be recommending them to others.

Hang on a minute, we are talking about fitting replacement windows here aren't we?

Or is there something difficult or complicated that i might have missed?

Hang on a minute, we are talking about fitting replacement windows here aren't we?

Or is there something difficult or complicated that i might have missed?

Yes replacements. The originals were all wood, and we are replacing them with PVC. Why do you ask?

I cannot for the life of me see why you would need to involve an architect for replacement windows or any other third party for that matter.

Noseall although i kind of understand what your saying but let me ask you this......'Do you know what your talking about when it comes to pvc'???

Its not a dig but just a straight forward question

I cannot for the life of me see why you would need to involve an architect for replacement windows or any other third party for that matter.

:rolleyes:

You could always read my posts.

I could either

a) get lots of companies in, get lots of quotes, have the hassle of lots of people traipsing in and out of my house when when we have young children and are also looking at replacing heating and a kitchen.

or

b) go through a company as we did who happen to employ architects to assess your requirements (no expense to us) get 7-10 quotes from local companies and then after the windows are installed come back and check the installation for you. Only when they and we are happy do we pay. Oh and we get an insurance backed 10 year guarantee.

As freddymercurystwin so succinctly put it, it ain't brain surgery.....

(funnily enough I work closely with brain surgeons at work....)

Noseall although i kind of understand what your saying but let me ask you this......'Do you know what your talking about when it comes to pvc'???

Its not a dig but just a straight forward question

I am fairly savvy with fitting, but know only a little about manufacture although the window suppliers i use make their own and i do spend time in the factory from time to time.

If you were to ask me about building regulations concerning windows then i would say there is little i do not already know as it is my job to ensure all my windows are installed to satisfy reg's as all the work i do is ultimately inspected by B.C.

All of the external windows and doors installed in all the extensions i have built in the last 10 years have been pvc.

There was a time when it was 50/50, i.e. half wood and half aluminium/plastic, but it is solely pvc these days.

Ok so it seems you could hold your own then. Lets just say you allowed a salesman into your house to try and sell you some windows :D , you would rip him to bits, there would be no way he could fool you, pull the wool over your eyes, baffle you with locking systems and UV values and cashback and extrusions etc etc etc, do you see where im going???

The salesman would be gone in ten minutes flat, not stay for 4 hours trying to convince you THEIR system is the best, making phone call after phone call to his boss seemingly able to just knock thousands off like its pennies.

Now put yourself in the position of someone who is absolutely clueless about windows, not knowing the difference between cockspur and espag locking or the difference between security clips security beads, spacer bar U values, or what a split spindle is. You can see why people get ripped off. Not saying you do it, infact you probably advise your customers better than a salesman, you may even bite the bullet cost wise and just use rehau to save on comebacks, a salesman would just blind you with science and leave you thinking he's done you a favour.

I said the above through experience, my brother had 3 companies in to quote for a conservatory, my brother is a clever bloke, he works for zytek motorsport and builds racing engines but knows SOD all about anything pvc, i stood in for him and i ripped the salesman to shreads, i let him give the sales pitch, acted ignorant for a bit then let rip :D , loved it

I think its about time we had companies like the OP used

The first thing i do when choosing any company is ask for recommendations.

These will come from friends, neighbours, family, work colleagues, etc, etc.

I will then look at their work if i have time.

I may even visit the factory.

I will then look on the Internet or look in various magazines or such like to get savvy.

To boldly blunder on and choose the first motormouth salesman that walks through the door would be naive at best bordering on the ridiculous.

I agree to a point that the self-regulating upvc window industry has a bad rep, so anybody can get stung. But you withhold payment until you are happy.
To use an architect as a go-between seems excessive to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back