Window installers make a mistake

I'd assume the sourcing company pay the architect from the commision they get from the window company for supplying the lead?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Had quite a few laughs at this post - seemingly at different bits but hey ho!

If this "3rd Party Company" is willing/able to send out a surveyor / archietect initially to get some rough sizes, Then pass the lead on to the maufacturing & installing company who then supposedly sent their surveyor out to check the sizes, Then the 3rd party to send an inspector to come an audit the installation afterwards.. Seems a very long way to go about things.

In essence the OP has paid for:

1) 3rd Party to Collect the Info in First place
2) 3rd Party to send out surveyor
3) 3rd Party to pass the lead to the Window Company.
4) Window company to send out a Surveyor
5) Actual Frames Manufactured and Installed.
6) 3rd Party to send back Inspector to Audit.

Steps 1,2,3,6 - Will have been put on top of the bill for sure!

In Terms of cost for this ( I used to work for a national Pvc Casement companyand have now JUST started an Specilist Sash window company offering A rated timber products etc ) The surveyor depending on how many surveys he does a day will be on 20 - 30 a job, The lead itself is 30 - 50 ( Based on a PPC campaign. ) Audit - 30 + Cost the 3rd party has to put on to profit itself.

Im guessing 200-300 per fitted job extra ontop of the installation companys price which inevitable has saved him a blagging sales rep sitting with him for a night. And has still ended up with Problems.

I wouldnt suggest this way around things to anyone but hey ho! :LOL:
I

OK, why don't you quote me a realistic cost and we'll see how it compares (the companies do pay a comission to the advice company, but what do double glazing companies pay sales reps.....

(all windows fully compliant to Scottish regs)

Lounge: 4 window bay. Window heights 1200mm, 2 windows 570mm wide, 2 windows 600mm. PVC mahogany/white. Glass 4mm glazed. Low E glass. Internal finish full hardwood, external sill 150mm projecting. Vents to two windows, white handles

Kitchen: Height 1100, width 1000, white/white PVC, white handles, same 4mm glazing, low e, PVC trim with PVC trim, 150mm projecting external sill, vent.

Utility door and window (one unit): Fully glazed door (toughened inside, laminated outside) with mushroom bolts etc. PVC white/white. Low E, full finish PVC, 900x2000, clear float glass. Window 1000x1200, 25mm projecting external sill.

Bedroom 1: 1200x1160. Tilt and turn with child safety catches. PVC white/mahogany, white handle, low e, 150mm projecting sill, vent, plus extra cost for 200mm external PVC facing to jamb and 150mm external facing to head.

Bedroom 2: 1200x1200 PVC white/white, white handle, Low E, 4mm glass, hardwood tim internal, 150mm external projecting, vent, and childproof restrictors.

Master:

4 window bay unit. 1200mm height, 2 x 600 width, 2 x 570 width, PVc white/mahogany, white handles (two windows side open) 4mm glazing, Low E, hardwood full internal finish, 150mm external sill, vents to 2 windows, childproof.

So what would a reasonable price be, and I'll tell you what I paid.

Sponsored Links
Hi again,

One consolation for yourself in the profile market Rehau is far superior.

As i stated above im in the Timber/Sash window market so any PVC casement jobs i get i buy the frames in.

I could get you a price but it would mean me sending the list off to get a quote back plus me adding my bits on etc etc so why bother!

Feel free to tell us/me what you paid and ill tell you if i could have done it for that or if you have been given a good deal etc etc.

Was it 70mm profile that was used? and was the using 4-16-4 or 4-20-4? Was a warmedge spacer bar used? and what WER did it acheieve? also do you have any info on what centre pane values the DGU's had?

Kind Regards.

:)

I really don't think I need consolation! You have to look at it from a purchasers point of view. For us it was much simpler, much quicker, less hassle and we would have someone independent (yes not entirely) coming back to check the window installation.

As far as I am aware it is 70mm profile, it was suggested by the windows advice company that it should be 4-20-4. Maybe after todays visit, we will know WER etc.

I was hoping that you would give me an unbiased price for my windows that I could compare with. However, we paid just over £4700. We had 7 quotes and the most expensive was about £6500!

Just to update. The windows advice chap has been and has advised that we hold back the value of the windows that are incorrect until we have negotiated with the DG company. I'll let you know how we get on.

Just to update, we have negotiated £400 off the cost of the windows. I certainly could have pushed for more, however, I was never in it to squeeze money out of he company, just to get reasonable compensation for a mistake that would have been much more costly to rectify.

Now to get on with the kitchen refurb! :)

Just to update, we have negotiated £400 off the cost of the windows. I certainly could have pushed for more, however, I was never in it to squeeze money out of he company, just to get reasonable compensation for a mistake that would have been much more costly to rectify.

Now to get on with the kitchen refurb! :)

Result! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back