Wireless connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help i have a desktop pc which is wirelessly connected to netgear wireless router WGR614 54MPS through a wireless usb 2.0 adapter anyway i dont have a problem with my destop pc.
But i have just bought a laptop which has built in wifi but when i try to connect to the netgear router it is asking me for the network key or wep key which i cannot find, anyone help

Thanks
Keith

Sponsored Links
On the desktop PC , do the following:

Open Internet Explorer and type the following web address in the address bar:

http://192.168.0.1 (this is the default address , assuming noone has changed it)

press then enter key

Username and password box will appear. By default they are admin as the username and password as the password.

Now its been a while since I played with Netgear router , but you will have a menu on the left. Look for either Security / LAN or Wireless and the current network key should be displayed.

Once you have it , enter it into the laptop.

Thanks for your help but i had to use netgear support in the end to get it sorted :)

Sponsored Links
Well why don't you tell the nice Ladies and Gentlemen the solution to your problem?

I must admit I'm not sure what they would have told you that was different to what I said.

I would puy any money you like on Netgear talking the OP through a factory reset and then configuring it from scratch all over again.

through a factory reset

That can be a fiddle on Netgears as well. There is no reset switch, just a recessed reboot button. Lots of holding button in while attaching/detaching PSU etc etc.

But you are right , they would probably have started from scratch as they would have had no idea what the OP could potentially have fiddled with.

I've never seen a Netgear device that couldn't be reset to factory defaults merely by holding in the 'reboot' button for a sustained period.

LinkSys - that's a different kettle of fish. In fact, many of their routers could be beaten in the ease-of-use stakes by a kettle full of fish.

I've never seen a Netgear device that couldn't be reset to factory defaults merely by holding in the 'reboot' button for a sustained period.

I have lost count of how many DG834g's /GT's I have installed, and a few rangemax's as well. And on the few that actually required a reset, they all needed a power disconnect whilst holding the reboot button.

LinkSys - that's a different kettle of fish. In fact, many of their routers could be beaten in the ease-of-use stakes by a kettle full of fish.

I can't comment , I only supplied a handfull (when supplier was out of stock of Netgear or Buffalo) and never needed to reset any of them TBH.

I have lost count of how many DG834g's /GT's I have installed, and a few rangemax's as well. And on the few that actually required a reset, they all needed a power disconnect whilst holding the reboot button.
In the DG834g manual said:
Using the Reset button

To restore the factory default configuration settings without knowing the administration password or IP address, you must use the Default Reset button on the rear panel of the router.

1. Press and hold the Default Reset button until the Test LED turns on (about 10 seconds).

2. Release the Default Reset button and wait for the router to reboot.
I think someone's been misleading you. You don't need to power off at all.

Yeah I read that as well a few years ago. All I can tell you is it didnt work , but cycling the power whilst doing it did. And since that first occasion thats the way i did it ever since.

Well why don't you tell the nice Ladies and Gentlemen the solution to your problem?

Netgear helped with initial setup when i first installed the router and they give you a case number, so when i called them again with previous case number they had my initial set-up details which had my network number, so when i entered network key it was sorted.

Hm.

Have you now recorded your WLAN key, just in case you forget it again?

Sponsored Links
Back