wireless v wired ?

• Thread starter confidentincompetent
  • Start date
C

confidentincompetent

I just tried to get away from aol again :LOL: and they offered me a new set up (they must be desperate :rolleyes: ) with reduced price etc... However this new setup is a wireless modem/router. At present I run broadband 1mb off phone socket and get no problems.. I am not on a network (is that called stand alone ?) Question/s, is is there any benefit on going wireless. Will I still need a firewall ?. I dont intend to get a second p/c, apreciate any guidance. Cheers
John .

Sponsored Links
If it is the bog standard AOL wireless modem you'll probably end up with a Netgear DG834G. They have a built in firewall, don't know how good it is, I have a software one too. Basically, the advantages with wireless speak for themselves, quite handy if you use a laptop. The other thing you can do is connect more than one PC to the internet at once without using one machine as a server if you wish. There are a few guidelines people on here have posted re the security side of using wireles networks, worth a search.

no point in going wireless with a desktop.

imagine this

wireless router modem.

desktop with wire less receiver.

where is the modem?

sitting next to the desktop.

I have also been told that the internet connection is quicker with network modems than with USB modems, but don't know how true it is.

Sponsored Links
The decision to use a router is independant of whether or not to have a wireless router, and is something you can do with any provider.

AOL is a pain in the neck - since you're already tempted to leave you should be encouraged to do it. DO IT!

Using a USB ADSL modem under Windows to connect to a network is a horrible kludge - you won't get as good performance, and you'll be using more PC resources, then when using Ethernet to a router.

A router will offer NAT, which instantly insulates you from the Internet.

A decent router (and the DG834g is fine and dandy) will include a SPI firewall, which means you don't need a software firewall on the PC, releasing yet more resources.

Whether or not you get a wireless router is up to you - you'll experience some latency with wireless, but with 802.11g and today's massive ADSL bandwidth, this is no problem except with some avid gamers.

Thanks for helpfull replies.
At present I have a adsl bt voyager 105 usb thingy, Phone (master)socket is in hall with 5mtr extension to my desktop. Suppose it might be better with wireless ?
New deal is for 2mb with wireless setup.
My BT line is only capable of 4MB, I dont do games and not intending to link any other pc's.
I'll give it some tht as to switching ISP but thats another story ... :confused:
Thanks again guys ...

Nah, doubt it will be any better with wireless!! The netgear I mentioned above works well as a stand alone modem, you don't need to use wireless if you don't want to, just turn it off.
You'll still need to have the wireless router plugged into the phone and the mains, then if you want to use the wireless router to escape the 5m of phone cable you will probably find you need to buy some sort of wireless adapter or the likes for the PC, (unless it has it built in.) It is a lot easier to setup the router whilst plugged in via the ethernet, also it is not a good idea to do certain tasks (i.e. update router firmware) from your PC over a wireless connection.

I Get the feeling all you want to do is lose the
Horrible mess of cables,yes i would go wireless,
and over this short range any performance loss
would be nominal for what you want to do.

Sponsored Links
Back