Wiring a plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a really basic question.
I recently had to remove a plug from an extension lead, there was a small copper, or brass, "ferrule" on the end of each wire.
I thought these were a good idea, they stop any stay strand of wire being missed when fitting the plug and make for a good connection.
What are they called? I doubt Googling "small copper or brass things" will get me far.
Would the up to date electricians on here recommend them? If so why? If not why not?
My feeling is that anything that makes for a neater and better connection is a good thing.
I'd be happy to buy a packet of them, and the required tool, if they make stuff safer.

Sponsored Links
Ferrules, un-insulated.
:)
I don't remember when I last wired a 13A plug!

Frank

The regs suggest they are used where terminating multistranded cables into terminals NOT designed for that type of cable.

Sponsored Links
Some of these ferrules were connected to a fancy light fitting I was installing.

After connecting the ceiling wiring to the manufacturers connector block, the wires slipped out of the ferrules. The ferrules remained screwed securely to the connector block.

I caught the light fitting, somehow.

Similar happens with crimps, lugs etc.
its all down to the person fitting them and the tool used to crimp them.

To the op the tools about 20 pound and ferrules about 1 pound a pack.
Non trade You would proberly only use 0.5, 0.75, 1.0, 1.5 and possibly 2.5 mm but youd have to buy a pack of 100 of each.

Tlc sell bootlace ferrules and crimpers and you often see crimpers on ebay

You also get insulated singles and insulated double ones for two wires but for Diy you may not need them, more used for wiring panels

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Ferrules/index.html

these are INSULATED ones

Some of these ferrules were connected to a fancy light fitting I was installing.

After connecting the ceiling wiring to the manufacturers connector block, the wires slipped out of the ferrules. The ferrules remained screwed securely to the connector block.

I caught the light fitting, somehow.

and this is exactly why I'd say they aren't a good idea. clearly a fire waiting to happen..

Proberly,
I bet its not cheap, Cef are now selling american Klein tools.
Over £100 for a pair of pliers

I used bootlace ferrules for two reasons.
1) To wire flex into maintenance free spring clip type terminals.
2) To retain the cable numbers on the cables.
Neither is required with a 13A plug.

I have noted the tinning of the ends and use of ferrules with appliance power leads before the requirement to always supply with plug attached. This often resulted in either then being cut off when the cable is cut to correct length for plug or the outer sheave not clamped correctly. I would assume they were fitted for testing before dispatch as very seldom stripped to a length which could be used in a plug.

I as an apprentice thought the tinning of the wires looked a proper job. But as I got older and wiser I realised it allowed necking off where clamped and also braking where solder stopped.

Back in 1970's when relations with South Africa were strained we started to use aluminium cables and ferrules were used with these cables but the cable below 16mm² was a failure with flexes exploding so it's use was discontinued.

For hobs where designed so if required can be used with split phase, do often use ferrules to connect together the correct pairs for single phase use.

I don't remember when I last wired a 13A plug! Frank
I agree, I never seem to need to wire a plug these days. The only reason for this was that I'd lent an extension lead on a reel to someone and he had managed to get it so twisted and tangled the easiest way to sort it was to take the plug off and pull the cable through the tangles.

Thanks to everyone who replied, all very helpful. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back