wiring an outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please advise..have similar problem as Zand3r.
Have two way single switch in garage which switches one flourescent tube
wired as follows [top to bottom] red.. bottom terminals yellow and blue [which have a red tag on each]and of course an Earth[wired to the box]
I want to wire an outside light using 3 core cable ie Red Black and Earth.
I have a double switch whitch I want to use instead of the single switch in use at present...this has LI, L2 and Com at the top and Com, L1 and L2 at the bottom both Coms are linked with a red wire
Can someone explain the best way to wire it,and do I need to keep the wire linking the two coms? Help appreciated..Michael[/list]

Sponsored Links
tell me something, this light you have at present, can you turn it on at say the front of the garage and off at say the back of the garage and vice versa?

you will need to run a new 1mm twin and earth to your new light (end it at the existing light and mark it L) and another 1mm twin and earth from the switch to your existing light.mark this one S

I am also curious to know why your "new" 2 gang switch has a red wire connecting the two commons, (it is right) but did you "borrow it form somewhere?

at the switch

connect the existing cable to your 2 gang switch as it is on the present switch

connect the new cable to C an L1 (remove the link between the c terminals, as its not required in this case)

at the light

connect the two reds together using connector strip

this should leave you with two blacks one called black s the other black L

it depends on how who ever wired the existing light did it as to what to do next. (you neeed to conect them to the mains incoming but as yet i do not know which it is)

What colours have you got in the existing light (or junction box) and what are they connected to?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back