Wiring costs for 5 bed, 2 bath, 4 floor, 4500sq ft house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering going into business with two pals to create a 5 bed 2 bath and two power shower room house to rennovate and resell. I am not a builder and would be investing my pension savings. The House is grade 2 listed and has 20 rooms which include two kitchens, one of which is in a small one bed flat in the basement. The house has four floors and is around 4500sq ft. The wiring has to suit a med-high specification to sell for the best price. Outside garden security lights will be required front and back as well as spurs for the central heating system etc.

How long is a piece of string? Well my very rough guess, going for middle level requirements rather than footballers wives is £20,000. The house is in London and subject to the mad prices for parking and access. Before I spend more time looking at the rough figures I need at least an educated idea. Am I way off the ball? Is there a web site where you can find out this kind of thing?

Sponsored Links
forum rules... rule 9.. don't ask for prices..

as said many times before, "can't see it, can't quote it.."

I fully appreciate that. I am not asking for a quote - the terms of my specification are far too vague. What I am interested in is two things 1. A very rough guide as to how I can work it out OR 2. A web site or calculator which might give me a better idea. Of course, given the grade 2 problem and London prices, the cost will be more than normal but there must be some sort of guide to help people - or not?

not really :cry:

there are too many variables and with the cost of parking in london (assuming you can find a space to park in)

Sponsored Links
we can't even give you a rough guess since your description is too vague..

the best way is to get 3 or 4 quotes from reputable companies..

make sure you give them as much information on what you will require as possible..

if you find an online quote estimator, let me know the url.. :)

Thanks for bothering to reply, it really is appreciated. I suspected that there was no rule of thumb but was sort of hoping that someone would say - 3 beds - £x to x, 4 beds £y to y and 5 beds £z to z give or take 20%.

Isn't there even a price per socket/switch/ciling rose price one could use as a rough guide?

no as i said before too many variables.

you can have sockets in plastic, stainless steel, brass, switched ,with neon, without neon, unswitched

then there is the cabling, not to mention the lights earthing etc etc

1. A very rough guide as to how I can work it out

List everything you want in materials, look up the prices for those.
Labour costs = the number of hours to install all of that stuff x whatever the hourly rate in London is.

2. A web site or calculator which might give me a better idea.
Probably doesn't exist.

Do the other two people you are going into business with have any experience in building/construction?

as a rule of thumb i charge £25-£30 per item plus £450 for additionals.

A washing machine counts as 2 items (1 socket & 1 switch)

The add on price varies, but the item price is around the mark given.

but baldelectrician is in scotland, so ignore those figures :LOL:

then you have all the new consumers units, all the paperwork the supply to those consumer units

sorry but there is no way anyone can give you a realistic ball park figure.

do as has been suggested, get some quotes

There are books out there on self build which will give you an idea on how to work these things out. Of course yours will be more difficult (read expensive) than a new build, but you will get a ball park figure using their methodologies. The methodology for new builds is surprisingly accurate. Plenty of self build forums (fora??) out there, find the one(s) with Mark Brinkley, he wrote the 'bible'. Doesn't mean that is what you will pay of course, but you will get an idea on how much you should pay

no, I am Sparticus

nigel RA, you are not going to get a ball park figure by asking on a forum end of.

baldelectrician gave his opinion, but as i pointed out its of no use as he is the other end of the another country

chapeau mentioned some book which will be out of date, because its a book. also there is more to it than a few wires and fittings, earth bonding new supplies, etc etc and parking, and congestion charge(may be)

get some quotes end of, sorry but thats unfortunately the way it is, as we cant see the job

But before you get the quotes you should put some effort into deciding exactly what you want. That way the quotes will be far more comparable.

Grade 2 listing will create issues with cable routes, cable access and any fabric breaking required to the property.

20 rooms, say 6 sockets per room = 120 sockets
Common areas such as halls, landings, entrances = 10 sockets
Lights x 20 rooms- some such as kitchens and baths with multiple light positions and spots.
So lets say 35 switches and 30 light positions

Then there's data (Cat 5), voice, AV, security (alarm + CCTV), TV / cable/ sky and maybe a full house media system.

Size of building might require DNO upgrade to 3P supply.

As the peeps have already said it near impossible to be accurate without fuller detail and floor plans.

As a conservative estimate consider £30k for a vanilla rewire without too many bells and whistles.

Add in an ambient lighting system, full house AV, security, CCTV and your be well over £40k

PM me if you'd like some consultancy :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back