Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a intermediate switch which has

- supply
- feed for light
- feed for shave socket
- 3 core and earth to isolator

I’m struggling to get the fan to work correctly with the switch.

Currently the fan comes on when the light is gently switched, but does not turn off, even after the timer should run out. Ie I have to hit the isolator to switch the fan off.

Interestingly you can trigger the start of the fan without fully turning on the light.

The switch is an intermediate switch.

Sponsored Links
Why are you using an intermediate switch? They’re much more expensive than a standard switch.

How have you got it wired up?

As said, more detail needed.

A hint for now - if using an intermediate switch for this situation, only two terminals are used.

I can take a picture tomorrow but

Feed: Neutral - L1, Live - L2
Switch to lights: Live - L2, Switched - L4
3 core to isolator: Neutral - L1, Live - L2, switched live - L4
Shaver feed - Neutral - L1, Live - L2

As for why the type of switch - I can’t remember!

A diagram may serve this post better!!

Sponsored Links
That's a bit odd, so using it as a SP switch but using the intermediate switch as a handy terminal.
What you have should work assuming your description is correct but you shouldn't connect the neutral to the same switch as live. It should be in a separate terminal.
Having said that there's clearly a defect and the person who fitted it clearly didn't know what they were doing., If the light works correctly but the fan doesn't switch off then you probably have the switched live and the live backwards. The other option is it's a humidity controlled fan and it's adjusted low.

Feed: Neutral - L1, Live - L2
Ok.

Switch to lights: Live - L2, Switched - L4
Is that the same Live as the feed Live?
If NOT, shouldn't that be Neutral to light in L3 (or L1) Not Live in L2?

3 core to isolator: Neutral - L1, Live - L2, switched live - L4
Shaver feed - Neutral - L1, Live - L2
Ok.

Could be a faulty timer.

Is that the same Live as the feed Live?
If NOT, shouldn't that be Neutral to light in L3 (or L1) Not Live in L2?
Good spot!!
So either L2 is actually the neutral Or l4 is the "switched neutral"

Op needs to remove the neutral from the switch completely, and probably confirm polarity would be a good idea if possible.

Op needs to remove the neutral from the switch completely

L4 on the switch wire is the switched Neutral
Ok thanks for confirming, see above then. The neutral needs to be in a separate terminal block not connected to the switch terminal.
Also The live feed needs to be where the neutral feed was, and the light needs to connect the non switched side to the neutral not the live.

D'oh - I was thinking of a double pole switch.

No wonder it doesn't work properly.
:LOL:you still spotted the error in the ops wiring though! I understood the (bizarre) situation but still didn't notice the wrong use of neutral as a switched terminal!

Confirmation on whether your switch is an intermediate switch or double pole switch would be handy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back