handyme said:
how simple could the question be

If it was that simple, why ask?

handyme said:
how would you do it.

To BS7671

handyme said:
Just wanted to check what sort information you get on these sites,

some very good information, if people are prepared to listen, take heed, and give the people answering the questions, the relevant information

handyme said:
seems to me, u all think u know everything,

What kind of statement is that. We are all still learning, but some know more than others, otherwise there would be no point in a site like this

handyme said:
but even some of you can't agree looking at other posts this site.

That is called a debate, since some regs are open to interpretation and people interpret them differently

handyme said:
I have several friends who are sparks thanks but wanted to sort this one on me own, before i got on of them to connect the wiring/testing for me.

Why?

handyme said:
All i wanted was some friendly advice so i could do all the preparation.

But you will not listen to the advice being given

handyme said:
But hey i've worked with loads of sparks in the past and just goes to prove the point most of you are right up yourselves.

explain what you mean.

handyme said:
Unlike us plumbers........ Up the plumbers.....................................

Why would a plumber want to do donkey work for a sparks?. Or are you a toilet fitter?

Sponsored Links
Why what??

Donkey work for a sparks?????? thats the sort of person i am would rather help than watch, just goes to prove my point most sparks are up themselves never interested in doing another mans trade or helping solve a problem........... well at least i could fit a toilet.......

Not a problem i will get someone that can give a straight answer to tell me how....... Didn't say it was simple just meant the question was a simple one how to do it, not go into all the bloody regs and s**t most sparks always quote by.....

All i asked was how would you do it? 60a main fuse from supplier, tails to meter, then to a 80a rcob then tails to the wylex fuse board the one with a woodern back old style fuse's the one's with rated wire going through the center. no other fuses apart from the breakers on the cu just a on/off were the tails come in from the rcob..........

this the easy bit could put a 40a mcb in the spare closest to the on/off switch then to an rcd to the shower via a pull cord..... or is there other options???????????????????

handyme said:
this the easy bit could put a 40a mcb in the spare closest to the on/off switch then to an rcd to the shower via a pull cord
Yup - it's perfectly OK to do that.

You don't need to bother with the RCD.

And since showers aren't on for long, you don't need to be too fussy about the cable size - just use anything you can find, really.

Also, as it's just the one cable, you don't need to bother any of your sparky mates to come and check it out - it'll be fine.

ban-all-sheds said:
handyme said:
this the easy bit could put a 40a mcb in the spare closest to the on/off switch then to an rcd to the shower via a pull cord

:LOL:

And since showers aren't on for long, you don't need to be too fussy about the cable size - just use anything you can find, really.

:LOL: got some bell wire somewhere do u think that will do

Also, as it's just the one cable, you don't need to bother any of your sparky mates to come and check it out - it'll be fine.

:LOL:

you should go on the stage nearly broke 3 ribs laughing............

:idea:

i'll ask someone that knows......... not a dog sparks

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
handyme said:

Oh ban thats a bit harsh even for you, give the lad a chance, he is seeing the light now, we were all a bit brazen once.
Lets all kiss and make up, start again , best mates and all that

thank you ebee, would i be right on the connections as above or is there another way.

Only want to get it all ready before i get my mate to test it...

restore my faith in your trade

handyme, when quoting people, try not to add your own typing to their quote, its rude, confusing, and misleading.

handyme said:
thank you ebee, would i be right on the connections as above or is there another way.

Only want to get it all ready before i get my mate to test it...

restore my faith in your trade

No problem,

Yes I would like some clarification,
by the way this is what Ban asked you,
Ok you might think he is an arrogant know it all but actually you are wrong. He likes to give the impression of "Big Bad Wolfe" but at the end of the day day he plays devils advocate,
comes accross as abrupt but makes you think.
Actually he cares passionately about folk not making whopping mistakes and causing danger, he is yer best mate if yer did but know it.
He will never admit it but he is a really solid guy.
Listen and learn ban can steer you away from grief.
I might not always agree with him but I respect his motives.
(and most of his judgements)

ebee said:
ban-all-sheds said:
handyme said:

Oh ban thats a bit harsh even for you, give the lad a chance, he is seeing the light now, we were all a bit brazen once.
Lets all kiss and make up, start again , best mates and all that
I thought it was worth a try.

You see he kept on asking the same question, even though he kept on being told the answer was "no".

I thought that if I told him the answer was "yes" he might **** off and stop wasting people's time. And once he'd told us that he was a plumber, it was obvious that what he needed was advice on how to work to plumbers' standards, not electricians' ones that he would naturally find impossibly high...

just on me way to a&e ban, another rib just gone............

so if it not possible to replace one of the old fuse's in the cu, for a new mcb why do the make 40a ones for them then ban??????????????????????????????????

at least plumbers just get and do whats req, not b***h about the bloody regs allday on how hard it makes there life................

dog sparks rus a ban

They make them for the newer Wylex boards which are suitable, ie do have a 100A switch.

If you notice, the 40A shield has a tab on the back which disallows fitting into an old board, try it. The newer boards accept the 40A shield.

BTW, if you think you can fit one into an old board, why bother asking us?

I can assure you I have spoken to Ian Kenworthy from Wylex technical (0161 998 5454) and he told me this is the case. If you don't believe me, that's fine. Just speak to him yourself to confirm it.

But whatever you do, don't let blind arrogance cloud your better judgement and make a hash of your shower installation just because you got the hump. That would be gross stupidity.

see just goes to show no one in your trade can agree on how it should be done, i have asked 1 of the sparks at work and they said it was possible and also tech adviser in newy's and they also said it was ok..........

so this was the question how would you do it........................... not why or where fore.................................

which way would you do it..................................

fit a henly block then eb to come and connect to it via its own shower cu

or as said fit new mcb to board

now seems to me with all your regs its got you all confused............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back