wiring insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I often make battery packs but have to keep the old connectors!
what i do is cut about 2" of wires along with old connector and solder new pack to old wires and connector and tape joints.
It looks bad and tape comes loose on such small wire.
Question-- Can I strip old insulation wire and low heat melt to a liquid so I can dip the joint, reinsulating soldered joint.

Sponsored Links
It's got to be either heatshrink sleeving as RF suggested, or special butt splice crimps you can purchase which have an adhesive lined heatshrink coating on either end to allow you to fully seal them.

Soldering with heatshrink sleeving over the top will provide a neater joint, the crimp will be a little bulkier but perhaps quicker to do and without the "oh expletive, I've forgotten to slide on the heatshrink tubing before soldering" moments!

I use heat shrink for binding together batteries to make packs of 6,8,10 etc. but I,m talking about 1-2 mm dia wire with insulation I can,t find heat shrink that small.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back