wiring new ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Big problem ....

I am finally getting round to finishing off a room that we've been decorating for the last few months. The old ceiling rose was removed to replaster parts of the ceiling and now I've come to wire in a new ceiling light, my method of identifying which flexes are which are no longer clear, so long story short, I've no idea which wires to reconnect to which parts of the ceiling rose.

I have looked at the WIKI but can't see anything that relates to what I have.
I have four flexes, three are sheathed in white plastic and one in grey. The one in grey plastic has two red wires and one earth, and the others have the normals L/N/E.

The new light I am trying to attach has two wires (uncoloured) connecting into a choc box and an earth screw connection. It a simple single switch that I am connecting, not a dimmer.

I have attached a picture of my predicament, do any lovely forum members have a solution, please?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It's twin red, so there is no black switched line. ;)

First of all we need to find out whether the extra T&E is a feed or a switched line and neutral, hence my question above.

Naughty sparky0000, editing your post like that :rolleyes:

First of all we need to find out whether the extra T&E is a feed or a switched line and neutral, hence my question above.
absolutely, that's what I thought - so sorry RF, you've lost me! :oops:

There isn't a single red, there are two reds coming out of the grey cable, despite appearances in the pic!

The T+E with two reds should be your switch cable. (Take the switch plate off and check though - there's no point assuming for the sake of two minutes' work.

One of the other T+E will be the power feed in - if you're confident to do this safely, have someone put the power on whilst you carefully check for 240v volts on the cables.

So, now you have your switch cable and power feed in (loop in)

It's possible that both the remaining cables are feeds to other lights (loop out), but you really should confirm where these go. If you can be sure that these do go to other lights (They must do, what do the sparks on here think?) the you can wire it as per the wiki, but with two 'loop out' cables.

There isn't a single red. Stop tying to confuse the OP :rolleyes:

electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting:lr.gif

You need to wire your ceiling rose as per the diagram above.

The wire which goes to the switch in the diagram (red & black sleeved red) is the cable with two red cores in your photo. It does not matter which way round you connect these.

Once you have connected as per the diagram, you will be left with one red and black cable. You should connect the black with the other blacks, and the red to the centre loop terminal.

There will not be enough holes for all the wires, but you can just fit two wires into one hole.

like rf said but you may find that when you connect the twin red cable in you may find that your light switch is the oppersit way when switching :LOL:

like rf said but you may find that when you connect the twin red cable in you may find that your light switch is the oppersit way when switching :LOL:

Do you actually understand how electrical circuits work? :rolleyes:

Why don't you stop posting stuff that is incorrect and does nothing but confuse the OP?

rf if you get the switch wire wrong the switch will opperate vice versa fact i think you need a women in your life :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back