Wiring new doorbell and chime?

So the builders have been in and started provisional wiring for a door bell.
I would suggest you ask them what is going on and what they have done? As the pictures do not really show anything to give you an informed answer.

Sponsored Links
There doesn't seem to be a transformer near the consumer unit.

Do you own a multimeter?

I don't but I remember the wires being live as when we moved in (builders carried out the work prior to moving in) I tried to connect a wired doorbell and chime.

I remember it partially worked but the sound of the chime was not right and full on ..... if that makes sense....

So the builders have been in and started provisional wiring for a door bell.
I would suggest you ask them what is going on and what they have done? As the pictures do not really show anything to give you an informed answer.

Builders are no longer available to contact...
I am just trying to figure out how to wire a new doorbell in preparation of the Ring pro.

Sponsored Links
Maybe better to start all over again, nothing to say it was done correctly or to satisfy your requirements originally.

Was hoping to avoid that option as that would mean going into the walls again...
Is there no way to go through a process of elimination or of some sort so can I can use the existing setup?

Yes…you need to find the ends of all of the wires. And then you'll need a multimeter to test the continuity.
Then draw a map a which wires go where.
At some point, you may discover the location of the transformer.
Then you'll be sorted.

As said you need to find the power supply. 8 Vac is common for door bells, however some use 4 Vac, 12 Vdc, 16 Vac and even 24 Vac so you can't simply connect up and hope it works. Even the door bells vary, I had one 3 Vdc or 8 Vac either battery or from a transformer, with the ding dong type often the current is rather high, it would burn out the transformer if you held your finger on the button.

Not seen any 230 Vac door bells but that does not mean they are not made.

Happy Christmas

It looks like 2 bell wires could have been run from the chime position to the push position, there are 4 wires at each point. Is there any wiring hidden behind the existing wall chime? Perhaps a mains supply for a transformer?

All I can see is the following -

Doorbell position - 2 * 2 core wires

1st Chime Position - 2 * 2 core wires
2nd Chime Position- 1 * 2 core wires

I have just got myself a multimeter but it would be the first time I would be using it, so any advise on how I can check if any of the wires are live?

I would guess from the position of the doorbell and 1st chime position, as they are very near each other, that their wires are both side by side however the 2nd chime.... I have no idea?

I guess another option could be they have not connected it to the consumer board or a live source and therefore the setup is for battery only?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back