Wiring new socket to 3 pin plug- possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am hoping someone may be able to help me. Essentially I have a built in TV unit in our living room, with sockets inside. I would like to have a single socket located on the outside of the unit. However, the sockets inside the unit are already at their maximum spurs. I therefore wondered whether it would be possible to wire the new socket to a three pin plug (with fuse) and then just plug this in inside the unit?

Many thanks in advance.

Best, Alex

Sponsored Links
Hi - because I want it to be a socket that sits flush in the tv unit in the same style as the others in the room. Does that make sense?

Sponsored Links
Not really a problem to do as you wish. Fit a plasterboard back box into the side of the unit and fit the socket to that. I would cable tie the cable to the back box so that the cable can't get pulled out of the terminals in the socket,

However, the sockets inside the unit are already at their maximum spurs.
What do you mean by that?

From a ring final circuit there is no maximum number of spurs.
On an unfused spur ONE is the maximum number of sockets.
On a fused spur there is no maximum number.

Agreed.
It used to be a rule that a ring had no more spurs than points on the ring.
you could spur from any point itself, from the origin too and anywhere on the ring if a junction box was suitable too.
In fact some do a ring with no points directly on it or say a 4mm radial again with no points on it and all the points are spurred, usually in 2.5.
It`s not what I`d do, if doing a complete ring I would put all of the points directly on the ring and only if, example, mrs smith decided she wanted an extra socket when you`ve almost finished might I put a spur on the new circuit.

Having said that, it would not bother me if say 12 sockets on a ring or radial and 25 points spurred off in total.

Hello,

I am hoping someone may be able to help me. Essentially I have a built in TV unit in our living room, with sockets inside. I would like to have a single socket located on the outside of the unit. However, the sockets inside the unit are already at their maximum spurs. I therefore wondered whether it would be possible to wire the new socket to a three pin plug (with fuse) and then just plug this in inside the unit?

Many thanks in advance.

Best, Alex
Absolutely fine - but be sure to use FLEX and NOT twin+earth.

And be sure there is some strain relief on the flex where it enters the socket, so it can't be pulled out easily.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back