Wiring Sockets on an exposed stone wall

Do you think that you could (without measuring) confidently distinguish between 20mm S/S conduit and 22mm S/S pipe?

Kind Regards, John

I think so, the saddles, clips, fittings, sound when you tap it, may assist as well.

Sponsored Links
I think so, the saddles, clips, fittings, sound when you tap it, may assist as well.
Possibly, but I'm not convinced. Apart from anything else, you're assuming that the 'appropriate saddles etc. will have been used.

I'm not convinced that 'tapping' would distinguish between a 22mm S/S pipe containing gas and a 20mm S/S conduit (of about the same wall thickness) containing cables!

If you could see fittings, it's quite probable that you would also see what it was connected to.

In any event, even if one were certain it was 22mm pipe, one ought to ascertain whether it was connected to 'water plumbing' or 'gas plumbing' before cutting into it - and if one did that, one would also ascertain that it was actually connected to electrical accessories!

I think that barrels are being scraped here. The truth surely is that no-one should ever 'cut into' the middle of a piece of pipe/ conduit/ tubing/ whatever without first making very sure that they know exactly what it is connected to, no matter what it looks like?

Kind Regards, John

The biggest give away is that many steel gas pipes are not bare. Galv conduit is obviously bare, but steel pipe used for gaswork is often (but obviously not always) painted a reddy brown or yellow plastic coated

The biggest give away is that many steel gas pipes are not bare. Galv conduit is obviously bare, but steel pipe used for gaswork is often (but obviously not always) painted a reddy brown or yellow plastic coated
If you're referring to the most recent discussion, that was about stainless steel pipe. I don't even know whether that is ever used for gas, but I doubt that many people would pay a premium for it and then paint it.

However, what do you think about my general point, that I think all this talk about 'what pipes {or whatever} look like' is really a bit unnecessary, since no sane person should be cutting into the middle of any pipe/tube/conduit/whatever without first making very sure that they know what it is connected to (gas appliance, bathroom tap or electrical accessory!)??

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If you're referring to the most recent discussion, that was about stainless steel pipe. I don't even know whether that is ever used for gas, but I doubt that many people would pay a premium for it and then paint it.

However, what do you think about my general point, that I think all this talk about 'what pipes {or whatever} look like' is really a bit unnecessary, since no sane person should be cutting into the middle of any pipe/tube/conduit/whatever without first making very sure that they know what it is connected to (gas appliance, bathroom tap or electrical accessory!)??
Yea my post was of course referring to steel pipework, not SS foolishly.

Well, if you're a plumber and you've turned off the gas & water then I think it's fair game to be cutting into any pipework

Well, if you're a plumber and you've turned off the gas & water then I think it's fair game to be cutting into any pipework
Up to a point, but should even a plumber really be cutting into the middle of a pipe without having ascertained 'where it goes' and 'what it's connected to'?

In my house as, I imagine, many others, my gas (LPG) and water pipes look identical (copper), and in quite a few places run alongside one another - and one would hope that a plumber wouldn't use a 'trial and error' method to ascertain which they needed to cut into! They would surely follow them until they came to something that made it clear what the pipe was carrying - and if, to their surprise, (and a bit back-on-topic!) it terminated in an electrical accessory, that might give them a clue that it was probably not carrying either gas or water :)

Kind Regards, John

Do you think that you could (without measuring) confidently distinguish between 20mm S/S conduit and 22mm S/S pipe?

Kind Regards, John
2H16 MICC looks like a copper tube with an OD of 14.7mm.

3H16 ditto 15.6mm.

Uncommon? There are multiple instances here of people posting photos of installations in flats where the "meter tails" are large pyro cables.

0.3 or 0.6mm difference between a 15mm water pipe, running up a riser?

Go for it.

Up to a point, but should even a plumber really be cutting into the middle of a pipe without having ascertained 'where it goes' and 'what it's connected to'?

In my house as, I imagine, many others, my gas (LPG) and water pipes look identical (copper), and in quite a few places run alongside one another - and one would hope that a plumber wouldn't use a 'trial and error' method to ascertain which they needed to cut into! They would surely follow them until they came to something that made it clear what the pipe was carrying - and if, to their surprise, (and a bit back-on-topic!) it terminated in an electrical accessory, that might give them a clue that it was probably not carrying either gas or water :)
Indeed - we are both pointing out that size (even if actually measured) is not a reliable guide to what's inside.

It therefore follows that doing something where size becomes an unreliable guide to what's inside (like using 15mm tube as electrical conduit) should not be a matter for concern.

Years ago we used to drop down from ceilings to sockets with standard electrical 20 mm plastic pipe and threaded adaptors, we would oversleeve the assembly with the chrome pole that you get from likes of B+Q and the adaptors held it secure though you could rotate it, in our case it was in the middle of a shop floor and im not sure of any suitable wall saddles to match

Years ago we used to drop down from ceilings to sockets with standard electrical 20 mm plastic pipe and threaded adaptors, we would oversleeve the assembly with the chrome pole that you get from likes of B+Q and the adaptors held it secure though you could rotate it, in our case it was in the middle of a shop floor and im not sure of any suitable wall saddles to match
That doesn't surprise me, and I see no problem with it, particularly if it was (as I imagine) obvious that it was 'connected to' an electrical socket.

As a matter of interest, did you bother to try to earth it? As we discussed earlier (and although there was a dissenting opinion), I personally don't see any real necessity even if there is just T+E inside a 'metal tube', but if there is a further 'plastic tube' between the cable and the metal, I think I would see even less necessity.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back