wiring switch

They are indeed.

Let's hope you meant what you just said, and that it wasn't sarcasm and that you intend to carry on with your folly.

Sponsored Links
greeny, if you read through a selection of posts where both bas and myself have posted, you'll see that we don't always agree with each other.

However, on this occasion, you really should listen to him before you injure yourself or someone in your house (or set fire to something)

I don't mean to belittle you in any way, but just get an electrician, you are not cut out to do this kind of work

View media item 21294
right were were we up to again..?

switches 1 and 2 were sorted..?
3 and 4 now switch the hall wall lights properly?

it's switches 5, 6 and 7 that need sorting.. ?

ok, so power off, take the red and black from switch 5 and connect together in a connector block..

now, take out the wires from 6 and 7 and with the multimeter set to ohms or continuity, test between the red and black of each wire.

the one that reads close to zero or bleeps is the one that goes to switch 5.. mark it with some tape or something..

report back when you've done that.

lol@col,

When do you hope to retire? Do you think greeny will have this sorted by then?

pfffft, excellent display of patience :)

Sponsored Links
right coljack lets have another go thanks for your reply, this is where i am
on this drawing switch a gang 1 is complete which switches upstairs hallway 2 way with another switch. Switchs 2 and 4 are also working correctly 2 way for the hallway wall lights. 4,5,6 and 7 need sorting. I have belled through the cables and found that the red/black at 3 goes to switch d on my last drawing. The other red/black at switch d goes to 5 on switch c and the red/black on 6 at switch c goes to under cupboard wall lights.

your drawing is useless without numbers.. and is different from your last drawings so be consistent.

View media item 21294
you appear to have left off a switch and added another one..

you've missed off switch labled 1 in my picture and added another switch 8 to the end..

i left off the completed one and there is another switch in the kitchen which i forgot because its never used but obviously needs to be taken into consideration sorry

Coljack, you're a veritable Saint Jude.........

(the patron saint of lost causes).

Give it up, dear. He's taking you for a ride.

Lucia.

Coljack,

Your electrical knowledge has never been disputed, now you seem to have the patience of a Saint and a willingness to teach.

Why are you unemployed? ;)

View media item 21479
OK new drawing.. I'll use my numbers and letters..

the switches ticked are working correctly yes?

right..
switch 4, cable A goes to switch 8 cable E or F?
switch 8, cable E or F ( other one to above ), goes to switch 6, cable C?
switch 7, cable D goes to the under cupboard lights?

now.. with the ends all made safe into terminal blocks, turn the power back on and set the multimeter to 250Vac..
do those wires have earths? are they connected to the backbox?
if they are then put the black lead on earth and test with the red lead on all of the reds, including the one in the com of switch 4
make a note of any that are 230 or more volts..

now many holes in switch 8?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back