wiring switch

i was hoping to have sorted it before 9 pages as well but people keep butting in with rude comments i think because they have nothing else to do.
It is not rude to try and get you to accept that if you do not UNDERSTAND HOW IT ALL WORKS you shouldn't be trying to meddle with it.

Seemingly pointless, yes, but not rude.

What is it with people like you? If you had zero hand-to eye coordination, no depth perception and were utterly incapable of driving a car, would you still think that it was OK for you to get into one and set off, crashing into things, stripping gears, burning out clutches etc on the basis of trying to work from a running commentary telling you what to do?

Why do you think that you should be trying to sort this problem out yourself when you must know that you have no understanding whatsoever of what's going on?

Sponsored Links
ok, so at least we now know that switch 8 is an intermediate.. which is what I suspected..

how are the wires E and F connected at the switch? ( your other drawing was a bit vague? )
in general you put one set ( lets say E for arguments sake ) into the top 2 terminals, and the other set into the bottom 2 terminals..

thanks again coljack for your continued help, i can appreciate im being a bit of a pain. As you say with switch 8 theres a t and e in the top and a t and e in the bottom but it doesnt matter which way you put the wires as there is nothing live in the switch. Im pretty sure its in switch 4 where the problem lies.

Sponsored Links
thanks again coljack for your continued help, i can appreciate im being a bit of a pain. As you say with switch 8 theres a t and e in the top and a t and e in the bottom but it doesnt matter which way you put the wires as there is nothing live in the switch. Im pretty sure its in switch 4 where the problem lies.

I heard you the first time.. and my advice remains the same.. start pulling up floorboards, get us pictures / details of the connections at ALL lights ( don't care if you have to get up a ladder ), or call in a pro because we're out of ideas at this point..
your wiring is screwed up and there's no substitute to being there when diagnosing and fixing complex wiring arrangements..

the term "bell through" was mentioned back on page 3 by someone other than the OP.. it's not hard to pick up the lingo if someone says it first..

I think Greeny is beginning to wear St ColJack's patience just a tad.

not him personally.. he's frustrated at the situation and so am I..
I hate not being able to solve a problem after putting so much time in..

I still don't see how it ever worked right, or how switch 5 can affect the other switches when it's just a 2 way with switch 3..

View media item 21479
black on C goes live when swith 5 is operated..???

the only thing I can think of is that you have the blacks crossed from cabes A and B..

which switch exactly was it that you were changing or that the previous owner changed?

the term "bell through" was mentioned back on page 3 by someone other than the OP.. it's not hard to pick up the lingo if someone says it first..
I missed that.

This is how it was mentioned:

get a multi meter, bell through the strappers

Do you really think that someone as clueless as greeny is pretending to be would have the first idea what that meant?

I thought that greeny was just a useless incompetent idiot, but now it seems that he's another one of the pathetic and inadequate liars that come here now and again because they have so little going on in their lives, and so little self-esteem that they think a bit of fun here might silence the voice in their head telling them what failures they are.

It never does, of course.

and you don't think that borrowing a multimeter from the sparky at work he would ask how to use it and the sparky told him?

its frustrating i know,if i can get a perm live from 4 to 6 i think it will work. Thanks again coljack for your time, a credit to this website and what it should be all about.

And for `ban all sheds` who rudely buts in, typical southener opens his mouth first because its easier than thinking. I bell through cables at work for the electricity board but i dont claim to understand all lighting circuits on domestic installations. I came on this site hoping there would be a simple answer but obviously there isnt and that i am now aware.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back