Wiring up an extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted an extractor fan in my bungalow kitchen and am going to pay an electrician to wire it up.

What paperwork do I need to get from the electrician when he has finished the work?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Probably just a MEIWC, minor electrical installation works certificate if it is going to be connected to an existing circuit.

Last week I had an electrician look at the job and he gave me a quote, I asked if when completed he could give me some paperwork to show that it was completed to current regulations as if and when I sell this property I will need it for the purchaser.
He said if he issues a certificate he needs to test the whole electrical system but he would bring some letter headed paper and write something on there.

I left a message on his phone just now to ask if he is still coming to do the job tomorrow and please bring a minor electrical installation works certificate to show that the work conforms to part P of the current building regulations.

I will have to wait and see if I hear from him.

Sponsored Links
He only needs to test the one circuit, not the whole thing, but if he doesn't then how does he know his changes are safe anyway!
Regarding the whole installation he just needs to record some parameters of the incoming supply which are again to confirm his new additions don't impair safety.
However it does take time, and chances are it'll be OK, so depends how you feel whether you ask for it!

If it isn't a new circuit then it isn't notifiable, so although Part P still applies (because it applies to any work whatsoever on fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter which operate at low or extra-low voltage and are etc etc), nobody will be wanting Building Regulations certification, and even a registered electrician won't notify the work.

Forget all about that, and just ask the electrician(s) what testing and certification they propose to do. Any who tell you that in order to issue a MEIWC they have to test the entire installation either don't know how to do their job properly or are trying to con you into paying for extra work.

Forget all about that, and just ask the electrician(s) what testing and certification they propose to do. Any who tell you that in order to issue a MEIWC they have to test the entire installation either don't know how to do their job properly or are trying to con you into paying for extra work.

You were right, the Electrician wired up the fan and tested the all the sockets on the same ring main.
I will get the MEIWC at the weekend via email.

He did mention that if the RCD in the attached picture failed I would not be able to get one and would need a new consumer unit.
Do you know if I could source the RCD anywhere to keep as back up?
Also I noticed today one of the 4 spring loaded screws holding the cover of the consumer unit is missing, I had a look on ebay but had no luck finding one, do you know the correct name and if I will be able to get hold of one?

Attachments

• IMG-20170201-00958.jpg
    IMG-20170201-00958.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG-20170201-00959.jpg
    IMG-20170201-00959.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG-20170201-00960.jpg
    IMG-20170201-00960.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 62
He did mention that if the RCD in the attached picture failed I would not be able to get one and would need a new consumer unit.
That is true, but it might not fail for 10 years, 20 years or ever.
As for the screws - no chance, they will most likely be specific to that unit. One missing screw out of 4 won't make any difference. Might not even be screws, could be some quarter turn things instead.
Front plastic cover also appears to be missing - but again, so what?

You will probably need a new consumer unit at some point anyway, as the RCD doesn't cover any of the circuits on the right side - changes to any of those will almost certainly require an RCD.

That is true, but it might not fail for 10 years, 20 years or ever.
As for the screws - no chance, they will most likely be specific to that unit. One missing screw out of 4 won't make any difference. Might not even be screws, could be some quarter turn things instead.
Front plastic cover also appears to be missing - but again, so what?

You will probably need a new consumer unit at some point anyway, as the RCD doesn't cover any of the circuits on the right side - changes to any of those will almost certainly require an RCD.

Thanks for the reply.
Actually you are right, it is a quarter turn thing.
As you say it is probably not important. I was thinking ahead and if I sell this property in future it might be picked up by a picky buyer or surveyor.
I took the front plastic cover off to take the photos.

I do not plan on making any changes to the circuits on the right side.
If in future I did need a new consumer unit fitted and the relevant tests and paperwork, could you give me a ball park figure for the work?

For Proteus contact CEF (City Electrical Factors) it is there stuff.
Did the electrician say why the RCD had failed?
It maybe possible to modify the board so their newer RCD will fit.

Thank-you PrenticeBoyofDerry,

After going into 3 electrical outlets yesterday and asking about the Proteus RCD one shop told me of the
CEF connection so I did e-mail them yesterday with pictures. Awaiting reply.

It has not failed yet. Before he left he pointed out that the RCD is only in connection with the 3 switches to the left which are the Garage, Sockets and Utility/Bathroom heater.
He mentioned IF it failed I would probably not be able to get a replacement.
He pressed the T button, to test and it took a couple of attempts to reset the RCD and said this can be a sign it is on it's way out.

I have received the minor works certificate this morning and was given a quote for a new consumer unit and full test of the house circuits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back